Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
RangoWA: Your memory is a lot better than mine.

My don't list is 5 times as long as my do check list....:sad:

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
rangoWA, Imagine if you had a B. plan at year ten, say it helped you net 15 % more a year....You'd be retired contractor sharing instead of a working one sharing.:thumbsup:

I would not build a dog house without a Blue Print--why would we try to earn a couple of Million dollars without a game plan/strategy???
I think you are off base on this one. In the area I live in the farmers are some of the worst business men in a traditional manner but the wealthiest. There are a lot of ways to structure things and a lot of rhetoric we put in our own head to justify our actions.

The only way to see who's decisions make more money is to discuss last years earnings. I would be very surprised if the person on this sight who did the most planning was the highest earner or on their way to being.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Locally, Farmers are cashing in on the billions of $ of tax dollars given to the alcohol welfare w$%^es, Even the stupid ones are in tall cotton...

Yes, there many random events beyond one's control, black swans, etc...
but knowing about business cycles and planing ahead for them should give one an advantage over more ignorant competition.

Planning without action is of course worthless, as is action without planning....

Right now rain is costing me thousands of $ a week, but next year I'll be set to profit/lose less when it rains/snows, good planning will shorten the list of unmanageables.

While I wouldn't turn down a windfall profit, I'm not planning on one.:whistling

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Locally, Farmers are cashing in on the billions of $ of tax dollars given to the alcohol welfare w$%^es, Even the stupid ones are in tall cotton...

Yes, there many random events beyond one's control, black swans, etc...
but knowing about business cycles and planing ahead for them should give one an advantage over more ignorant competition.

Planning without action is of course worthless, as is action without planning....

Right now rain is costing me thousands of $ a week, but next year I'll be set to profit/lose less when it rains/snows, good planning will shorten the list of unmanageables.

While I wouldn't turn down a windfall profit, I'm not planning on one.:whistling
I think plans can help or hurt depending on the situation. The people that I am the most inspired by are not all that good at planning. They are however very good at seeing opportunities and jumping on them. I think that when you plan you can loose your ability to make a strong business move that is right in front of you because it's not part of a plan.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
FrankSmith @ 64: FS, Bottom feeding, or recycling/scrapping can quickly become the business focus as there are sooo many failures to out there to deconstruct, but is becoming part of the "creative destruction food chain" where you want to work the next 25 years?

I can spend 2 grand and kill a couple of 150 pound deer in a cornfield this winter, or go to Fareway stores and by 600 lbs of the finest meat in the world in 60 seconds..... Which would make me the most efficient Hunter-gather? Maybe I should become a rancher?

You can be in the Herd of cattle,
You can be Herding the cattle as 60$/day cowboy,
you can own the Herd as a rancher,
you can be a service pro/ veterinary,banker,real estate, etc....
you own the Packing plant,
Own the sales channels, stores, restaurants,shipping.
Or trade on the Chicago Board of Trade, and extract most of the profits of meat production.....

It still is a fine line between Risky behavior and taking business risks. I'd plan and set limits of $ and time invested in "out of plan" businesses activity....plan for the known and unknown unknowns.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
FrankSmith @ 64: FS, Bottom feeding, or recycling/scrapping can quickly become the business focus as there are sooo many failures to out there to deconstruct, but is becoming part of the "creative destruction food chain" where you want to work the next 25 years?

I can spend 2 grand and kill a couple of 150 pound deer in a cornfield this winter, or go to Fareway stores and by 600 lbs of the finest meat in the world in 60 seconds..... Which would make me the most efficient Hunter-gather? Maybe I should become a rancher?

You can be in the Herd of cattle,
You can be Herding the cattle as 60$/day cowboy,
you can own the Herd as a rancher,
you can be a service pro/ veterinary,banker,real estate, etc....
you own the Packing plant,
Own the sales channels, stores, restaurants,shipping.
Or trade on the Chicago Board of Trade, and extract most of the profits of meat production.....

It still is a fine line between Risky behavior and taking business risks. I'd plan and set limits of $ and time invested in "out of plan" businesses activity....plan for the known and unknown unknowns.

I see where you might be going with this. The guys who run the scrap mettle facility in my area are doing very well. If the right opportunity poked its head, I could see investing in a scrap facility.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.