Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are windows in my condo. The label says Anlin. I'm an electrical contractor, not a window/door contractor, so please excuse my less than precise descriptions.

The hardware that fits in the side channels of the vinyl windows is about 12 years old and is failing---i.e. hard to open windows, sliding them up and down, etc. Our unit is not the only one experiencing these problem.

I need to replace the parts in question. Hopefully my pictures of the parts comes through and helps.

So my question is: where can I get these parts? Has anyone here worked with these windows and these parts?....if so, any suggestions??

BTW: I have already contacted the manufacturer about this problem and the need for parts, plus, we cannot just replace the windows because our HOA is totally screwed up, fines everyone for everything, and, basically washes it's hands if anyone has problems with windows, doors, balconies, etc......which is why we now have a lawyer.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,792 Posts
Have you tried to clean and lube the balancers yet. if they are mechanical ones which kind of look like they are. Clean and use a silicone spray lube, DON"T use WD40 makes things worse. As far as parts I would go to a vinyl window maker and see if they can give you any help. Good luck hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Strybuc industries will be your best bet for the hardware. Haven't run into anything I haven't been able to find in their catalog. Just google them

Reactions: cwatbay

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried to clean and lube the balancers yet. if they are mechanical ones which kind of look like they are. Clean and use a silicone spray lube, DON"T use WD40 makes things worse. As far as parts I would go to a vinyl window maker and see if they can give you any help. Good luck hope things work out for you.
Thanks for the tip Randy. Well, unfortunately, parts are broken on the balancers, so I am hoping on just purchasing new parts and replace all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's called a constant force balance. There are several manufacturers, Caldwell and Amesbury to name two. You might look on the plastic housing and see if you can find identifying marks that can help you narrow it down a bit. Since you were able to get them out, I take it the frame is notched. That will help tremendously when you install the new ones. The key is to get the right tension so that the window opens smoothly.

The steel band might have a number designation on it as well.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's called a constant force balance. There are several manufacturers, Caldwell and Amesbury to name two. You might look on the plastic housing and see if you can find identifying marks that can help you narrow it down a bit. Since you were able to get them out, I take it the frame is notched. That will help tremendously when you install the new ones. The key is to get the right tension so that the window opens smoothly.

The steel band might have a number designation on it as well.
Thanks for the info. No numbers on the bands. Only number that looked like a 717 was on the plastic body of one of the parts. The arms are broken, from trying to get the window up and down. I will post more pics of the parts.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The guys beat me to it. Strybuc for anything parts and pieces. Send them those pics along with the width of the Stainless Steel coil spring, the size of the sash it carries, the type of glass (double or triple pane) and they should be able to fix you right up.

Be glad your jamb is notched so that you could get them out. Otherwise, you would have needed a heat gun to heat and spread the jamb. The first time I saw a guy do that, I about S*$! my pants.... LOL But, after changing out the balances and then hitting the deformed and spread apart jamb with the heat gun again, it all folded back in place perfectly as though nothing happened.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Actually.... you can contact the manufacturer http://www.anlin.com/vinyl-windows/ and also show them your pics. With the tags still readable, they will be able to identify EXACTLY what balances those are.

They SHOULD be under warranty. Most vinyl windows come with a lifetime warranty on the frames, sashes and parts.

Good Luck!

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
The guys beat me to it. Strybuc for anything parts and pieces. Send them those pics along with the width of the Stainless Steel coil spring, the size of the sash it carries, the type of glass (double or triple pane) and they should be able to fix you right up.

Be glad your jamb is notched so that you could get them out. Otherwise, you would have needed a heat gun to heat and spread the jamb. The first time I saw a guy do that, I about S*$! my pants.... LOL But, after changing out the balances and then hitting the deformed and spread apart jamb with the heat gun again, it all folded back in place perfectly as though nothing happened.
Hey John - Strybuc sells a jamb spreader for this purpose - no more heat gun :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts