Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi ... I have a single storey 20 yrs. old home and want to make my picture window wider, it's now 7'... I want to make the opening 8'-6" ....... the walls are 2x6 and the header is 2 - 2x10's now under a load bearing wall. The problem in ripping out the complete header is getting into exterior soffit and fascia, as the 2' overhang drops down over the header and nailed into it. I was thinking of building a temp support for the ceiling inside, pull one of the 2 headers out splice in on both ends of header, use 1/2" plywood over that glued and screwed, install another 2x10 then another 1/2" plywood and finally another 2x10 making the header a total of 5-1/2" thick and rest on either 2 or 3 jacks on either side. I don't like the idea of splicing the outter header but would save a lot of work, but don't want to compromise the structure by doing so. What do you think, all replies would be appreciated. Thanks Ron.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Hi ... I have a single storey 20 yrs. old home and want to make my picture window wider, it's now 7'... I want to make the opening 8'-6" ....... the walls are 2x6 and the header is 2 - 2x10's now under a load bearing wall. The problem in ripping out the complete header is getting into exterior soffit and fascia, as the 2' overhang drops down over the header and nailed into it. I was thinking of building a temp support for the ceiling inside, pull one of the 2 headers out splice in on both ends of header, use 1/2" plywood over that glued and screwed, install another 2x10 then another 1/2" plywood and finally another 2x10 making the header a total of 5-1/2" thick and rest on either 2 or 3 jacks on either side. I don't like the idea of splicing the outter header but would save a lot of work, but don't want to compromise the structure by doing so. What do you think, all replies would be appreciated. Thanks Ron.
http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/just-reminder-important-60787/ :thumbsup:

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I will add that this sounds like it is not a DIY job....By a long shot.

·
Pro
506 Posts
lop the outer 2x10 out too.. cut all the nails off with a sawzall should slip right out. re-attach the soffit framing later.

as far as the sizing goes, sounds like you only have roof load on this, but without seeing the house it's hard to recommend anything specific. may have point loads and other nasties involved.

free advice to non-paying homeowners from me anytime.

·
General Contractor
8,078 Posts
Here you go before its to late... This Is The Right Solution For You :thumbsup:

·
Eater of sins.
4,675 Posts
Your best bet is to cut the center out of the header then make the opening the size you need.

Cut the studs that are in the way of moving the ends of the header over then pry the two pieces towards the ends of the new opening. You may have to get a really big sledge hammer to move them.

When this is completed just toe nail a new center piece of the header to the older pieces and remember to use toe-nail glue.

I really hope this helps.

Andy.

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
You know this can probably be done fairly easy. The problem is he wants our blessing even though we don't know him or how the house is layed out, not to mention he's a homeowner pretending to be a pro.

I never thought of what I did as being arcane knowledge held by a secret society, but I am beginning to think we are envied as real men with the skills and confidence that seems to have been bred out of many.

Eat your hearts out soft hands!:laughing:

·
General Contractor
8,078 Posts
Your best bet is to cut the center out of the header then make the opening the size you need.

Cut the studs that are in the way of moving the ends of the header over then pry the two pieces towards the ends of the new opening. You may have to get a really big sledge hammer to move them.

When this is completed just toe nail a new center piece of the header to the older pieces and remember to use toe-nail glue.

Andy.
I have to try this next time when I am turning one car garage in to two... I cannot believe my Architect didn't came up with that solution.:thumbsup::laughing:

·
General Contractor
8,078 Posts
Just incase OP you don't have any sense of humor, post some pictures after you cut that header in a half, that is if you still standing on this planet earth :no::laughing:

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
Best advice.

Get a window that is the same size (7') or smaller. A lot less work and no potential for disaster.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Andy.
so how does the f-chan move with the header?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts