Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a customer that wants spray on polyurethane insulation, so I looked into it a little bit more. I have researched some on the process and it seem like it might have a hefty price tag to start up with the protection required to spray isocyanates. I am looking for experience/advice on the need for this service and if it is worth the start up cost.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There will be ALOT of trial and error. You MUST have somebody familiar with YOUR equipment as well as spraying to get decent production and profit.

Personally, I stay away from the big projects with foam. If its not something I can do with regular spray kits, I will forward them somewhere else. Your looking at an easy $65,000 start up cost for decent equipment. And in my experience, you are dealing with the same profit range as other products, and the higher ticket is coming from the material cost and labor cost. Alot of prep, clean up, experience, and finesse is required, and if there are issues(such as temperature, mixture, overspraying, shrinkage) the fix can be extremely costly.

I know 2 guys that pretty much went out of business trying to cling to a spray foam division, and another 2 guys that are doing fairly well with it but can take it or leave it. On the other hand, a friend of mine went and spent $140,000 on all new equipment, training, the works, and he is loving it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This does not sound like something I am ready to get into at this point. My company is fairly new. I have asked around a bit and have gotten a quite a bit of complaints about spray on foam insulation and the cost vs. profit.

I am also looking into a spray on rubber coating insulation, but I think the cost vs. profit factor might be an issue their as well.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
This does not sound like something I am ready to get into at this point. My company is fairly new. I have asked around a bit and have gotten a quite a bit of complaints about spray on foam insulation and the cost vs. profit.

I am also looking into a spray on rubber coating insulation, but I think the cost vs. profit factor might be an issue their as well.
Just curious..... what is that puppy ????......

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
There will be ALOT of trial and error. You MUST have somebody familiar with YOUR equipment as well as spraying to get decent production and profit.

Personally, I stay away from the big projects with foam. If its not something I can do with regular spray kits, I will forward them somewhere else. Your looking at an easy $65,000 start up cost for decent equipment. And in my experience, you are dealing with the same profit range as other products, and the higher ticket is coming from the material cost and labor cost. Alot of prep, clean up, experience, and finesse is required, and if there are issues(such as temperature, mixture, overspraying, shrinkage) the fix can be extremely costly.

I know 2 guys that pretty much went out of business trying to cling to a spray foam division, and another 2 guys that are doing fairly well with it but can take it or leave it. On the other hand, a friend of mine went and spent $140,000 on all new equipment, training, the works, and he is loving it.
Go big or go home!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not too sure about the rubber insulation. I was talking to a friend about it and he told me that he knew someone using a two part rubber system to spray in ceiling tiles. I have not been able to find much on it, but it seemed interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts