Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting ready to do a job where we will be using smart siding. I don't want to but my father already took the job. So I figured I would see if anyone here had some tips.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Prime all cut edges between siding and roofing.
Be aware of where your siding pack came from. If it came from from a warehouse or fresh from the factory, the moisture content will be very low. Be generous with your buttjoint spacing if this is the case.
Flash behind all butt joints because the caulk will fail.

Everything else I can think of can be found on the ss install website.

easy peasy....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't really want to use it because as far as I'm concerned it's just painted osb. We've done a few jobs where we have replaced this stuff. Only been up for a few years but the stuff doesn't hold up in our weather. Thank you for your advice though I appreciate it.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
Don't really want to use it because as far as I'm concerned it's just painted osb. We've done a few jobs where we have replaced this stuff. Only been up for a few years but the stuff doesn't hold up in our weather. Thank you for your advice though I appreciate it.
In saying it does not hold up , could you expand just would kind of problems you are seeing with it. Guys are using it here more now instead of Hardi , which I don't think much of, but our weather is pretty hard here too in Montana.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry haven't been around a computer. Most of the issues have to do with the caulking failing and allowing moisture in. One of the reasons that I don't have faith in the product is that it relies to much on caulking. I don't know about you but I have had very few customers that recaulk when needed.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Use better caulk.

Seriously, caulk should last more than a couple years. If it's failing only a few years In then someone's skimping on the caulk to save money.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never skimped on caulking in my life. We use Pro Flex geocel I have houses that the caulking is still completely pliable 12 yrs later. On the side that doesn't get the sun, wind, or the majority of other weather. On the other hand I have also seen caulking fail in 4-5 yrs if it is in constant sun, wind ,and ice. One of the reasons I'm not all that hyped about using a product that relies on caulking.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If it's failing only a few years In then someone's skimping on the caulk to save money.
Many times I find it is the other way as well. If too much is applied in the joint you get a 3 sided adhesion and the joint fails quickly.

I don't caulk fiber-cement butt joints at all anymore, looks cleaner without it IMO.

I agree with Randy, joint covers are the way to go with SS. I just don't appreciate the look of them.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Personally I think it's just a cheap alternative to Hardi board siding witchI love , don't see any bad things about it or cedar lap or shake .. I don't think there's anything smart about smart siding other than it cost

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
We have a lot of it being installed around here and it seems to be holding up great. Maybe our drier climate is more up it's alley? It has been the replacement for the no longer availible Canexel siding. Hardie is nicer i think, but much harder to install and more expensive. I can see how it might not do as well in the wet NE area.

And i agree with randy, why would you not use joint covers?

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
In Alaska it's more expensive than Hardie but I still prefer it.

It's a little more than plain painted OSB. I'm not sure if this makes it sound better or worse but it has a paper facing that is primed, though the bevels are sanded down to the OSB. The OSB is more like avantech than regular OSB.

It does look much better in my opinion as well. Thicker for more relief, and lays flatter.

I did an addition where we removed some that was 5 years old and had never been painted. The wall had moisture problems from improper detailing, but the Smartside looked like new still.

I just did a small amount on two tiny houses I'm building and each one had a total of 2 butt joints each because there was always a window or door or roof in the way of any run longer than 16'

Random thoughts complete.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts