Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deck and pergola to build for long time customer and they are really cheap(but is millionaire) He wants just basic pergola, all treated lumber. I have a 18' span and he wont go for solid beams or lvl clad in anything so Im thinking triple 2x12's over 5x5 post. I want to use architectural post to beam connectors like the simpson t strap but I dont think it will look right b/c I can only go up like 3" on the beam. Anyone know any other architectural connectors that will work or any other ideas.

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/catalogs/c-2013/C-2013-p212.pdf

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I did one with 6x6 posts and the beams were 3 2x12's with 1/2" plywood in between, adding up to 5 1/2".

The bracing ended up being 6x6 as well.

As for hardware, you can get some stock saddles to set the beams in. If you want connectors for the bracing, then you'll have to go to an iron shop and have them make some.

You see custom stuff like this on pavillions.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I was trying to stay away from adding fillers in the beam b/c it will be easily seen from underneath. I wanted to use the architectural connectors b/c it adds some style to the otherwise boring PT lumber. My next option is 8x8 notched

·
Artist and not a curator
12,981 Posts
I'd tell them if they don't want to do it right, then you won't do it. You should have a double beam (PT LVL) connected with cripples between straddling a notch on each side of a six by six. Then a top and bottom filled with a 2X3 set in 1/4" and thru bolted through the posts.

Exposed hangers on a pergola makes the pergola ugly and pointless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts