Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
The good ones will be working 99% of the time, you're in a tough spot when you are actively looking for employees... Just try to be a stand up company good carpenters will want to work for and have them seek you will give you the best results IMO. I agree with the above post aswell, ask your current carpenters, subs, friends/family if they know anyone.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I think "should" make a written test. Some field questions, some math questions, some reading comprehensions questions...etc.

Then have the applicant fill that out with their name and phone number.
I like that.

Who was the first President,

How many quarts in a gallon

If your traveling 60 mph how long does it take to go a mile.....

Do you drink a lot
Do you do drugs
Are you a moron

See you monday if you get these correct.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Unfortunately, in my opinion the only way to do Craigslist hiring is in gang interviews - you set aside a few hours and bring a bunch of them on site. It's not great, as it feels discourteous to the decent guys, but there are so many posers/phonies/just plain desperate guys out there that you can't afford to set up proper interviews. On a first-come, first-served basis, give them a couple of 2x4s, a bag of mixed nails, pencil, speed square, a hammer, and a chop saw, with a drawing showing a mini-wall with plates and some studs, with specific measurements - plate needs to be 36 5/8", for example. Studs are 24 9/16", or whatever.

Tell them they have 5 minutes, and it's OK if they don't finish it, you just want to see how they go about it. Set a timer, so you're not standing around waiting. At the end of the day you have a list of guys who have some sort of a clue; now you can start figuring out how to filter out the druggies and violent offenders.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
I was hired for a job while in Florida a tad back, the boss hired 4 of us.
The after the first day, let gone go,
the second day, let another one go.
And so on,
Hire a few and take your pick,
I'd put alot of time into new employee's in the beginning. someone might pan out

·
The Finisher
1,396 Posts
Good employees are hard to find, especially on CL.

Check out indeed.com and do a free resume search in your area. I've had decent results with it.

The best way to find great help is through referrals. Ask your local supplier, current employees, family, and friends. Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Good luck with CL in Denver. Try denverhelpwanted.com. I don't know if anyone reads the Denver Post anymore.
Keep us posted on your results, I may need to hire a few. I can feel the headache coming on.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.hireveterans.com/
go check out this site which helps returning veterans with finding work. I bet theres a lot of good honest hard working people on there for hire. I know if i were in your shoes id definitely hire a veteran
I will check that out for sure, thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are still looking, check out Zip Recruiter. They give a free 30 day trial, and the job postings go to some serious websites and the caliber of applicants is night and day versus Craigslist. I think some of the boards included sites like Monster and Yahoo.

You do have to put in your credit card information, but when I made the all too common mistake of not canceling before the 30 day trial, I just called them up and they refunded my money after I wouldn't take no for an answer. If you have ongoing positions available the website is probably worth it, though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts