Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a tech come out and extend the lines on a heat pump an additional ~12'. The system worked as expected for the first week or so and then began to make loud noise from the compressor. I felt the supply/return at the compressor and they were both very hot (so hot I couldn't keep my hand on the tubes).

waiting on the tech to come back and diagnose-does anyone have a probable cause? Is there a recommended length of tubing?

the condensor unit is an Amana RHA18a2b. I've found an online service manual at http://johnstonesupply9.com/TechDocs/Amana/Heat%20Pumps/RHA%20Heat%20Pump/RHA%20RHD%20RHE%20SERVICE%20MAN.PDF and looked through trying to identify maximum length of line run, but didn't find the info.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Page 23 indicates the lineset should be 50 ft. max and I think 20 feet max verticle rise. Were you already <50ft? I wouldn't think the added length is the source of the problem. How old is the unit? Hard to say what is going on, putting gauges on will help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Heat pumps r fun

1. its a heat pump both lines will be hot in heat mode usually, to the touch.

2. they sound loud if they go into defrost mode, or when they shut off sometimes and the pressure will equalize.

3. the compressor hot gas bypass can sound horrible to or if the reversing valve gets stuck, due to improper voltage or weak coil or something of that nature.

I have a feeling it was in defrost mode, and its ok. not to worry.
But do have it serviced with the indoor unit for the winter season and every spring for summer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts