Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a house with asbestos on the sides and back but wood shakes on the front.
he does not want to remove the abstestos so we will go over with OSB board,then house wrap,then hardie plank. sound logical so far?
for the front,we will remove the wood shakes down to plywood if he has it,if not,plywood over the studs.. question,since the sides and back have asbestos,we will install OSB and then side..won't this protrde further out than the fron of the house? how will we use a corner?
incidentally,we are faced with a similar problem with vinyl siding. any opinions?

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
i believe you can install hardi direct to furring strips attached to the studs
you don't need continuous sheathing like you do with vinyl

just install the corner as you usually do,not much you can do about that

·
Registered
108 Posts
hwon't this protrde further out than the fron of the house? how will we use a corner?
we'll obviously, however thick the sheathing is. However I would use plywood not OSB, better grab for the nails since Hardies rathers you nail into studs, but allows otherwise. I don't think the corners are going to be your problem, but instead the rake boards. you most likely won't be able to tuck the siding under them. Just make sure you plan that all out before you start and then get stuck up top.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
you can usually adjust trim details to accomodate most anything if you're starting with a clean slate. If your sheathing is too far from the wall, a metal "Z" bend should fix that.

Do your tear off, sheathing, house wrap, then treat everything like a new build.

Windows and door detailing usually is our biggest concern.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts