Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site, and looking for anyone to offer advice regarding the Dor-o-matic 1372-3&4 hinges. We are coming to the end of a church door restoration, and the doors and hardware look great-the only problem is that I cannot get the center hinges (shown in pre restoration photo) to seat properly. They will not fully mate, and are leaving a 3/16 - 1/4 space between the upper and lower hinges of the middle door set. We were very careful to label and keep all hinge sets together throughout the restoration, and the only "conditions" that they were exposed to would have been heat from the polishing process. Any help would be appreciated.- Thanks

Attachments

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Have you measured it and compared it to a working one to see what's different?

On commercial work, I've seen guy using a "hinge tweaker" tool to line up the door and get the hinges to meet better, but your hinges look like they've got barrels too big for that tool to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MD- Yes, I've checked them, and I cannot see anything that strikes me as different. After staring at two sets for about 30 minutes, the only difference that I've noticed is in the lower half portion-there is a connical "tip" that engages the bearing on the end of the post of the upper half-and these seem to be at differing depths, but i can't figure out how this could have happened- as there seem to be no adjustments??
Thanks for the info on the "tweaker" I can see that making its way into my tool bag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An update- I brought one home with me, and after my last post, I started playing with one to try to determine how the difference had occurred. The problem wasn't with the receiving half of the barrel, but with the post. I didn't realize that the posts were actually threaded into the top half of the barrel, and I guess during the buffing process, the posts worked their way to a different setting. A little finesse with channel locks broke them loose and allowed me to adjust them to the point where the gap was eliminated.
Thanks for the response- I'll post photos when they're complete.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Cool. :thumbsup:
Never messed with one
after installing them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts