Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
One man show.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to see if any one might know what the angles and bevels might be for this vaulted bullnose and inside corners?
I'm installing crown in this house in other rooms and asked if I could experiment with these corners....
Some one gave me a formula once.... 16.3 angle/15.7 bevel...not sure what corners they apply to?
I've never had the opportunity to apply it until now, but I'm sure there is more to all these corners than those 2 formulas.
Just looking to see if any one could fill me in on any thing they may know to help cause Im not going to have much time to mess around with this room.

Sorry picture is sideways.....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

·
One man show.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya thanks.
I did a vaulted ceiling once, no bull noses or other transitions......'Cathedral'
Ripped the back off the horizontal piece, add little piece in corner with rake angle.

Its the bullnose corner that Im concerned with....

Was just wondering if some one knows what the angle/bevel is for the bullnose corner in the picture, so I can cut to the chase....like I said I wont have much time to play around with them.
Guess Ill start with the 16.3A/15.7B on the 5/8 bullnose.....but the other 3-4 corners may be as confusing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
image.jpg

You can do this the same as a flat ceiling. Make a template with a 5/8 inch middle piece and about 1 ft piece on each side and place it on the ceiling. You can then see how it works. You can shave the back of the crown on the right hand piece to get it to go closer to the wall due to the change in spring angle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The miter angle is 16.3 nod bevel 15.7 for the bullnose. The inside corner would be 35.3 miter and 30 degree bevel. This of course applies only if your doing crown that has a 45/45 spring angle.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Somewhere I have notes on how to do this. I took trim class in my union apprenticeship school a few years ago, and I learned how to make this cut. I will look tomorrow, and give you the formula if I can find it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My heart goes out to you. As the wall on the left side rises I'm sure your aware by now 1/2 of your bullnose piece is taking a rise and the other half isn't. The formulas you've been offered don't even address this rise. Mr Mathewsons 2nd pic is a good example of how difficult this is and its not even bullnosed. Having done this for 20 yrs I've found something's just aren't possible. Your comment that you don't want to spend much time on it is I'm afraid not going to come true,your in it deep. My suggestion take it or leave it is that you build a nice custom crown block on that bullnosed wall,even that isn't that easy but it might be the easiest way out for you. The chart Mrmac sent you addresses the other angles you were concerned with perfectly,notice how in pic 4 there how the cove on your crown sits on the saw bed. Anyway hope this helps and best of luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts