Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I'm new here but I need help.

I'm planning to make an addition to my home. I'm drawing the floor plan, elevations, and roof plan on autocad but I'm stuck trying to figure out how to make the roof with this new edition. It seems like no matter what I come up with, it's not going to fit with the existing roof.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The only other way I see, would be to extend the addition roof plane, & also the existing big roof plane so that there would be two big planes with a common ridge. That ridge would be higher than any of the existing roof. From the front view, you would have a small hip (kinda like a Dutch hip) sticking above the main ridge. It would be way more expensive, but would be simple shingle system.

Scipio's method should work fine, but as mentioned, I'd raise the slope, do a membrane, & then shingle main last. The hard part would be getting the membrane up under the existing roof. If your redoing the adjacent shingles, it's not a problem.

Joe

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
The gables were 4.5 and the cricket about 2.5...

·
Registered
352 Posts
That cricket design would be a nightmare here in the northeast.

I won't give any recommendations because there is too little info to go on.

Bob

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
The cricket shown would be a tough decision for me also. I'd at least run it up to the ridge of the lower gable. Try to get as much slope as possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You could raise the wall height at the addition which would pick up the roof line, marry the ridge heights or lift the new ridge above the existing and have a gable end that would be visible from the front. I did something similar. I dont recommend using any shingle on the cricket area. Suggest an APP or fluid applied system below 3/12

·
Registered
8 Posts
The only other way I see, would be to extend the addition roof plane, & also the existing big roof plane so that there would be two big planes with a common ridge. That ridge would be higher than any of the existing roof. From the front view, you would have a small hip (kinda like a Dutch hip) sticking above the main ridge. It would be way more expensive, but would be simple shingle system.

Scipio's method should work fine, but as mentioned, I'd raise the slope, do a membrane, & then shingle main last. The hard part would be getting the membrane up under the existing roof. If your redoing the adjacent shingles, it's not a problem.

Joe
Sorry Joe, I just read your post, basically said the same thing you did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts