Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to convert CAD doc files to PDF ?
At a loss here...Any help will be Greatly Appreciated.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CAD Conversion

A prospective customer sent me the plans in a Cad DWG format, so I put them on a CD and went to kinko's to have them printed. They told me they did not have a program to read these files let alone convert them to a printable format.
Then they told me to go online to www.kinkos.com and download this program for free that will convert any document into any form needed.
What they didnt tell me was the fact that the site is now FEDEXKINKOs and it seems the wonderful free program is no longer available !!!
So the fact of the matter is I spent a whole day running around, went to 2 different kinkos and one other place where they all said to go get the free program that wasnt there anymore, as well as a few hours of research on the web and looking thru the CAD program for instructions... I am not usually the one to handle these matters, being one to take matters into my own hands I was kinda elected. :rolleyes:
Normally during the week I would go to the local Blueprint Printing shop where it would be as simple as eating cake, but today is Saturday and they are closed.
I will continue my efforts as I have no other choice... This will get done !!!
Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CAD Conversion

SUCCESS !!! Mission Accomplished.

The time is now 12:00 midnight. I was able to locate a trial version program called BlueBeam Pushbutton and these files have been converted to bitmap.
We can work with that.
Now I am on my way to the 24 hr kinko's to drop off the cd so my prints will be ready in the morning.
Just wanted to share that...lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a problem with the bitmaps. I did not like the quality of the images for one thing... What I did was another search and found a program called Solid Converter DWG with a fully functional trial version.That program was really user friendly that I didnt need to read any instructions.(Hate it when you need to read da stinkin structions!!!) I converted 12 pages of CAD drawings to PDF and they are Beautiful !!!
I did look at the download you suggested and was not real confident that was what I was looking for so I took the other route.Thanks for the Advice.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
The cutepdf print driver is really only useful if you can print directly from the CAD program. I was going to suggest to send them to me and I'd make pdf's for you - but it sounds like you get it worked out. :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correction

I admit the missing download is at kinkos website. My fault.
After all I went thru to get that done yesterday, today I go to the same place and the guy walks over to ask what he can do for me... I tell him about the files I have in PDF for printing and my effort to find the download at their site. He shakes his head and walks over to a cabinet where he reaches in and pulls out a new copy of the cd and says "Here, I forgot these were here !!!"
I was about ready to jump over the counter and grab the guy by the throat...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts