Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm working on a small 2.5 bdrm S. Florida home, block construction, stucco wall interior. It has quite a number of interesting original features including the original wood cabinets, pocket doors and other things.

In moving to the back bedroom there was a 56x80 closet with a jerry rigged set of bifolds turned into a bypass with a metal j-track for hanging the doors attached to the header as a replacement for the original bypass sliding closet doors.

In pulling the doors and metal track it revealed what was there originally - a wooden track built into the header.

Which is something I haven't seen before. I've searched for two days now and can't find a dang thing online about this style bypass hanging system. Nor possible replacement hardware or track.

I'm more curious about it's exact construction as I really like it from a woodworkers point of view. I can only see part of it with the center board out. At this point they only want me to fill it in and go with a new style (metal track) like they have with just some new doors but...

Any of you old schoolers seen a wooden bypass hanger built into the closet header made of wood before? I'd really like to see how it goes together start to finish.

Any pics or diagrams on one you can share or point me to including what the original hardware was?

thanks in advance
- chase -

I can take some pics with my cell and upload them if needed of what's there if my description is too vague.

·
test
3,333 Posts
pics please and thank you.

Probably was no hardware and just wood door on wood track if I'm picturing it right..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pics please and thank you.

Probably was no hardware and just wood door on wood track if I'm picturing it right..
As you can see, there was definitely hanging hardware.

I used a hanger off the doors that were there to demonstrate and show how best I could see it originally would've been. If you reach up in you can feel a routed out groove for the hanger wheel to run in. One hanger would be a forward facing, the other a rear facing. with the wood strip in the middle.

Who ever put these doors in here now broke out the center strip and apparently broke part of the track trying to get the doors out.

It's a really nice construction from the look of things. Nice recess for each door in the jams.

Pics looking both ways along the header.

I put the piece of center strip that was left up after putting the hanger in place to show how it would look once assembled.

But I can't see squat inside as to how this all went together.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
it won't let me upload the last pic. so I hosted it.

here's the one with the center board back in place. Though the center board was broken when I got to it. it would've come down level with the edge of the front and rear wooden j-track I surmise.

you'll have to imagine the rear facing hanger in there on the back side. I didn't have two hangers loose to play with at the time I took the pic.

So... any of you old schoolers built this style of bypass closet door before and wouldn't mind sharing the details on it?

I'd love to hear more if you do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one huh?

Well I was hoping someone would recognize this style build or seen it before but with the lack of responses I guess not. I was thinking it might be something more common up in the north east on some of the older homes up there.

I'll keep searching... possibly some old carpentry books might have it in it. Or vintage home repair books...?

thanks anyway guys.
cheers...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have seen similar type of wooden tracks on pocket doors from the 50’s .

On those , the hardware that the door was hung from , had no rollers and slid on metal sleds or ski like things. Hard to describe in text .

Anyway the metal on wood contact wore a groove in the wooden track . Cheap and dirty , poor design . The track may have been site built , although I suspect it was pre-made at a factory as an economy pocket door slide.

There were probably many different designs from small manufacturers that varied from region to region .

It could be some trim carpenters may have made their own wooden tracks and used roller hardware from the store .

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
Maybe it's not what you're assuming. That might just be trim with a lip for rigidity.

I think there may have been a double j-track that was removed for the replacement. Both doors would hook and swing in place from the same side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke to the home owner further. Unfortunately she doesn't recall seeing the doors or hardware when it was removed but said there's a chance the hardware may still be on property. I'll take a look for it.

I'm going to see if I can find this style bypass construction method in some old construction or restoration books. There's got to be a reference to it somewhere.

On a side note.
She mentioned they were pulled to install carpeting. And the track broken during removal. they had been up for 20+ years. No issues other than they didn't like them. So it couldn't be too bad if it lasted 20+ years and probably would've lasted longer had they been removed properly or with care.

The layout of this room with the entrance door and closet doors it leaves much to be desired. See drawing 1 (K- Original)

In order to get in the closet you have to close the entrance door.

The small adjacent room which they refer to as a Den. Has a 5' opening for the entrance. Which supposedly that room could also act as a 3rd bedroom... (?)

All entrance doors come from a narrow hallway so there's no reversing the door swing.

Just not a well thought out layout.

I tossed together a modification. I'm no architect but... putting the closet in the middle of the dividing wall or at the other end for the bedroom. Using the space in the den for either built in book shelves or mini storage closets would be an improvement with out a ton of work.

The plastering of the walls and ceiling the biggest hurtle. I'm not a plaster guy. Don't mess with it, not my cup of tea. lol

As for the wooden bypass channel. I'm going to grab a scope with a camera and see if I can see a little more detail up inside before tearing it out or filling it in.

I can't be spending a ton of time on it. I was more curious and in admiration of the work done. One doesn't get to see a whole lot of this type finish work anymore.

It's all just box store stuff these days.

Thanks again for the replies.

Cheers...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hope that's an hourly job hahaha
Lol... No... More a one thing leading into another on this old house.

What started out as "just refinish the outside of the kitchen cabinets" turned into a full blown restoration inside and out... 65 year old cabinets came out great right down to the original hardware which I refinished as well . (See pic) Some interesting methods used in the cabinet building I noticed.

As well as other things I've already knocked out.

Nice that work continues here and now others that have seen what I've done wanting me to work for them as well. That's always a plus.

Attachments

·
test
3,333 Posts
I think you going to need to just see what hardware works. Could get a bunch of styles from homedepot and return what doesn't work. Sucks they tossed the hardware. seems like something the home owner should be paying for unless it was your carpet crew.

SLID'UP 110 - Sliding Closet Door Hardware kit - 78-inch Double Track for 2 or 3 Bypass Doors up to 100lbs Each https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N4WF4HV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_77IkEb4VHDKQW

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you going to need to just see what hardware works. Could get a bunch of styles from homedepot and return what doesn't work. Sucks they tossed the hardware. seems like something the home owner should be paying for unless it was your carpet crew.

SLID'UP 110 - Sliding Closet Door Hardware kit - 78-inch Double Track for 2 or 3 Bypass Doors up to 100lbs Each https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N4WF4HV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_77IkEb4VHDKQW

Not my crew on the carpet, and that was done years back from what she's telling me.

All the hardware with the new track was installed already. They just didn't do it well. They left the big gap in the header trim. Once I pulled it down that's when I discovered the wood track underneath the new metal track.

Unfortunately in taking the original doors down they busted part of the front wood track or it could've been used again.

In talking to her today, she's opting to just have me scab in a piece of wood to fill the gap. Reinstall the doors I pulled down after I refinish the interior of the closet. (New shelving, trim and paint)

But I did draw up a profile of this style wood track.
The groove is definitely routed out. And overall it doesn't look like it would be hard to reproduce.

I may make one just to try it out.. tweak the measurements for the track if need be. I'm guessing it's a 5/16" groove.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

I'm working on a small 2.5 bdrm S. Florida home, block construction, stucco wall interior. It has quite a number of interesting original features including the original wood cabinets, pocket doors and other things.

In moving to the back bedroom there was a 56x80 closet with a jerry rigged set of bifolds turned into a bypass with a metal j-track for hanging the doors attached to the header as a replacement for the original bypass sliding closet doors.

In pulling the doors and metal track it revealed what was there originally - a wooden track built into the header.

Which is something I haven't seen before. I've searched for two days now and can't find a dang thing online about this style bypass hanging system. Nor possible replacement hardware or track.

I'm more curious about it's exact construction as I really like it from a woodworkers point of view. I can only see part of it with the center board out. At this point they only want me to fill it in and go with a new style (metal track) like they have with just some new doors but...

Any of you old schoolers seen a wooden bypass hanger built into the closet header made of wood before? I'd really like to see how it goes together start to finish.

Any pics or diagrams on one you can share or point me to including what the original hardware was?

thanks in advance
- chase -

I can take some pics with my cell and upload them if needed of what's there if my description is too vague.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts