Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need suggestions for a customer in a wheelchair.

Room size is 6 by 10

shower area 6 by3 or 6 by 4

Open basement below-I'm thinking of lowering pan area by 4 inches

adding doubled floor joists and a new beam and post.

I'd like to go curb less if possible. User is in need of help during showering .

Budget is a big factor. I can not see that this will be cheap however any suggestions to keep cost down will be very welcome.--MIKE

A fully waterproof floor(shower and remaining area is a given) May add a second drain in toilet/sink area.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike, Customer suggested fiberglass as an option. Surround will need tile in any case.
I'm inclined to drop the floor and go all tile. I need to find out who makes fiberglass pans,quality.price,availability.

Want to hit village building dept. and see codes.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MIKE FINLEY----You nailed it. Found a usable pan from BEST BATH 48x72 Dealer is THE MEDICAL CLUB.com About $950 including shipping. A bit pricey but little labor so-----

Any suppliers for a pan this size?

·
Registered
910 Posts
You may need two men to carry that....

Let me know how it works out, I have been looking at Best Bath products for a while now.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
MIKE FINLEY----You nailed it. Found a usable pan from BEST BATH 48x72 Dealer is THE MEDICAL CLUB.com About $950 including shipping. A bit pricey but little labor so-----

Any suppliers for a pan this size?
Why does the shower need to be that large? A 24 sq/ft shower is huge handicapped or not.

If budget is an issue I'd not go over 60" wide and cut that pan cost by 2/3ds and also reduce the tile costs by 1/3 as a result.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
Going to look at one of these jobs tomorrow am quoting swanstone barrier free with ramp 60x32 total cost for material I believe is around 1k.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Going to look at one of these jobs tomorrow am quoting swanstone barrier free with ramp 60x32 total cost for material I believe is around 1k.
I won't use Swan anymore, the last job I installed had a bubble in it, couldn't see it but the homeowner felt it.

Notified my Ferguson rep, the sent someone to look at it. Swan refused to repair it, said it was my fault for not seeing the defect before installation, and offered to send me a repair kit plus 100.00 labor allowance to do it myself.

Shetty company.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
I won't use Swan anymore, the last job I installed had a bubble in it, couldn't see it but the homeowner felt it.

Notified my Ferguson rep, the sent someone to look at it. Swan refused to repair it, said it was my fault for not seeing the defect before installation, and offered to send me a repair kit plus 100.00 labor allowance to do it myself.

Shetty company.
I use ferguson as well and I had trim piece issue and they resolved it and sent me a new piece, I don't use swanstone alot myabe a handful of times over 5 years but overall good product and easy to install.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I use ferguson as well and I had trim piece issue and they resolved it and sent me a new piece, I don't use swanstone alot myabe a handful of times over 5 years but overall good product and easy to install.
Yeah, they offered to send me a new vanity top as well, which would've meant demo-ing the alcove it was built into and the custom mirror that was glued to the wall to get it out. The home owner said uh uh.

What gets me is they do have repair personnel to do the work, but flat out refused to send someone out.

·
Banned
917 Posts
I think the shower was $1300, set it floor joist level. Primed and caulked subfloor, caulked edge flooring (sheet vynil. It has maybe less then 1/8th lip to shower. Not bulletproof maybe but cost effective.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank WILLWORKFORBEER ,I may have to offer options.The shower she has in mind is 4x6 NO WAY to do that cheaply.Fiberglass pan is about $1000. Tile and all adds up.Thanks.--MIKE

·
Banned
917 Posts
Thank WILLWORKFORBEER ,I may have to offer options.The shower she has in mind is 4x6 NO WAY to do that cheaply.Fiberglass pan is about $1000. Tile and all adds up.Thanks.--MIKE
It was a Fiber Fab 5' ADA 3pc, description: 60-H1KD, very well made I must say.

Notice the pocketdoor slides in beside it, the unit was very sturdy anyway but I ran a piece of strap steel from edge of unit to rafters thereby giving me room for pocketdoor and easier access.

http://fiberfab.com/products.asp?c=AL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts