Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,842 Posts
Mike, if you pay him 35 an hour for 8 hours, but he only works 7, you really pay him 40 an hour..... dont kid yourself. Lol.

·
GC/carpenter
43,889 Posts
Jaws said:
Mike, if you pay him 35 an hour for 8 hours, but he only works 7, you really pay him 40 an hour..... dont kid yourself. Lol.
This is a great point jaws. But if he works 4 hours I still pay him for five so the math changes with the time he puts in. He actually makes more per hour that way. Believe me he and I have this conversation often. If he works 4 hours and pay him for five then he makes 43.75 I tell him all the time that he's robbing me. So I'm better off when he works 8 hours it's more bang for my buck.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
$20 an hour is the very top of the pay scale for an employee here. I do not know a single person in the trades making over $20 an hour.

Even salary project managers are making 30-35k a year.

Cole

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
$35 an hour for a 1099 with insurance here would be comparable to $24-25 with my WC rates. So, good pay but not insane. When I was doing display work as a lead I made $18 in '99 and $22 as a lead in a cabinet shop in '01, both had decent benefits. I haven't been an employee since then. I've certainly had years where I would rather have had those jobs.:blink:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Roofcheck said:
$20 a hour ad here will gain a overwhelming response.
Same here in southern md. Most ads seem to offer 15-18. I make 22 as a lead, no benefits other than a weeks vacation, but I'm treated well.

·
Super Moderator
28,842 Posts
$20 an hour is the very top of the pay scale for an employee here. I do not know a single person in the trades making over $20 an hour.

Even salary project managers are making 30-35k a year.

Cole
What do you mean by PM? A dude who creates his own schedules, deals with change orders and clients, designers? Can red line plans and address issues before they become issues? runs the job from dirt to ridge row? Or a lead carpenter? I only know a few guys making more than 20 an hour , but I dont know any real PMs making less than 52k, several over 70k. I was pissed to be getting 52k as a superintendent 5 years ago.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
What do you mean by PM? A dude who creates his own schedules, deals with change orders and clients, designers? Can red line plans and address issues before they become issues? runs the job from dirt to ridge row? Or a lead carpenter? I only know a few guys making more than 20 an hour , but I dont know any real PMs making less than 52k, several over 70k. I was pissed to be getting 52k as a superintendent 5 years ago.
Yes a real PM who controls and entire commercial job. From scheduling to change orders.

Not talking a lead carpenter they are the ones making $20 an hour.

A new hire carpenters assistant is $10 an hour.

An average carpenter is $14-16

Cole

·
Super Moderator
28,842 Posts
35k a year is like 700 a week. You would not have good luck finding a project manager for $700 a week in Texas. The rest of those numbers sounds pretty accurate for down here as well.

Reactions: Cole82

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Yes a real PM who controls and entire commercial job. From scheduling to change orders.

Not talking a lead carpenter they are the ones making $20 an hour.

A new hire carpenters assistant is $10 an hour.

An average carpenter is $14-16

Cole
Those numbers x 2 here. Why pricing discussions rarely make sense.

·
Super Moderator
28,842 Posts
74% more than here....

Id have to make 121k a year to equal what I pay myself as a monthly salary according to that. That was with my pick up and cell phone and their expenses. Hope they provide a truck...

Thats incredible. Only project managers making that here are big commercial and industrial.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It's all about housing prices. Housing and rental prices here have gone through the roof. Everyone wants an illegal basement rental unit, to collect a tax-free $2500-$3500/month. When my wife and I moved out here many years ago, in the middle of another boom, we looked at a couple of "apartments" that were just dug-out crawl spaces, with dirt floors and no windows. That sort of thing is going on again.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts