Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiring highly skilled carpenter. We do some high end finish restraunt work- trim doors cabinets built in....,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fshrs1 said:
Hiring highly skilled carpenter. We do some high end finish restraunt work- trim doors cabinets built in....,
Some stud and drywall, booked through the end of year with more coming pay is $20/hr more for the right individual
Indianapolis north and south . Please reply to [email protected] with information about yourself

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wouldn't be so harsh, he said $20/hr or*more* for the right person.

A lot of so called 'carpenters' are just handymen/remodelers.

Sounds like he is doing specialized work which means a big learning curve for the guys used to paint grade residential work ; hence, they aren't making you much money at all to start. With that in mind $20/hr is a good rate to mention in an ad since 90% of the applicants probably aren't experienced in his specialty.

I'm sure if an ace commercial millwork mechanic replies fshrs1 and him have a good shot at coming to an equitable arrangement.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,365 Posts
I wouldn't be so harsh, he said $20/hr or*more* for the right person.

A lot of so called 'carpenters' are just handymen/remodelers.

Sounds like he is doing specialized work which means a big learning curve for the guys used to paint grade residential work ; hence, they aren't making you much money at all to start. With that in mind $20/hr is a good rate to mention in an ad since 90% of the applicants probably aren't experienced in his specialty.

I'm sure if an ace commercial millwork mechanic replies fshrs1 and him have a good shot at coming to an equitable arrangement.
OK you win, you go do it for the big money:laughing:

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Who gets a highly skilled anything for 20 an hour? I pay my highest skilled carpenter 35 and he still bitches about travel time. But he's really good and very responsible so he's worth it.
You hiring?:laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
43,613 Posts
CrpntrFrk said:
You hiring?:laughing:
I'm paying too much aren't I? This carpenter I've known for 40 years we go back to little league together. We both went though our apprenticeship together and he has a license. I just 1099 his ass at the end of the year. He files a schedule C and shows a profit and loss for the year. He also has all his own insurance and has his own lettered truck .so he's an easy sell that he's an independent contrator, however I have to pay dearly for it. It is nice not worrying about anything because he's just as anal as I am on jobs. As a matter of fact I can just hand him a plan and say go build this for me and it's done. He knows that's valuable and he knows I know it as well! I have to pay him 35 an hour and let him off 1 hour early with pay because he lives 55 minutes away. So he only works 7 hours. We beat each other up on the money part every time we see each other.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I'm paying too much aren't I? This carpenter I've known for 40 years we go back to little league together. We both went though our apprenticeship together and he has a license. I just 1099 his ass at the end of the year. He files a schedule C and shows a profit and loss for the year. He also has all his own insurance and has his own lettered truck .so he's an easy sell that he's an independent contrator, however I have to pay dearly for it. It is nice not worrying about anything because he's just as anal as I am on jobs. As a matter of fact I can just hand him a plan and say go build this for me and it's done. He knows that's valuable and he knows I know it as well! I have to pay him 35 an hour and let him off 1 hour early with pay because he lives 55 minutes away. So he only works 7 hours. We beat each other up on the money part every time we see each other.
If he's that good he's worth that and more.

·
GC/carpenter
43,613 Posts
CarpenterSFO said:
If he's that good he's worth that and more.
We beat each other up in a friendly way. You know when you've known someone that long all the politeness BS no longer applies. You can't know someone for 40 years and grow up together without boxing at least once. I have to say we were drunk one night and I layed a punch into him but in the end he broke one of my ribs. So I think he won.

The cool thing is he came by the next day and I couldn't even breath. We got drunk again that night but it I was in no position to repeat the night before. I swear a broken rib is the most pain I've ever felt in my life.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You left out the part about him being an independent subcontractor---

You are getting a good deal----I'm glad it's working out for both of you.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts