Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my kitchen floor has been down about 5 years. in the past month it developed a slight "lump" and a squeak ,felt like a loose board. then it rapidly went from bad to worse- 3ft by 2ft bubble. when you walk on it it gives. It was installed over luan. Is it possible that the luan has buckled?? There is also a smaller bubble on the other side of the kitchen. This is on the second floor over the laundry room. Please help!

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Sounds to me like your luanne de-laminated, - - in other words, - - the glue between the layers gave up it's grip, - - sometimes installers use interior luanne instead of the exterior that should be used, - - in any event, - - time for a new floor.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sure sounds like a subfloor problem to me, probably caused by water getting to the subfloor sheeting, luan huh, never cared for it as an undelayment.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Luan has been known to be a part of alot of problems.
Manufacturers usually drop warranties when it's used.
I suggest tearout of underlay, reinstall new AC Plywood, and then a new sheet of vinyl.
you should be good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we opened up the "bubble" and there is deffinently moisture between the layers of luan. pulled the dishwasher stove etc. cannot find a leak. we did have a leak under the sink a few years ago, could moisture have been trapped that long and only now causing a problem??? thank you for all the responses!

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
pixie340 said:
we opened up the "bubble" and there is deffinently moisture between the layers of luan. pulled the dishwasher stove etc. cannot find a leak. we did have a leak under the sink a few years ago, could moisture have been trapped that long and only now causing a problem??? thank you for all the responses!
Yes, - - it definitely could have, - - and probably did cause the problem, - - and I think ProWallGuy's theory was also a contributing factor, - - that was also my initial thought before you had mentioned any leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts