Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this should be simple but I'm a new to the tin roof business and I really wanna do this right... I still have 9 inches of over lap so I can pull the valley flashing down more bend it over the fascia if need be but I would really like to get some opinions on how this is done ... how would you run the next piece of tin?, how should i have done the valley flashing?, would I run the corner trim up under the valley flashing too? do I stop the other corner trim coming from the right short of the center of the valley with tin? please help pictures would help tremendously....

Attachments

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,052 Posts
One of the first things I would do different is not put the metal over top of the shingles. Would of been easier to flash the valley right. I would also flash with a L piece on the right side of the valley under the valley W and also on the vertical part of the roof right below the valley, even though you will be putting gable trim on .

Biggest thing is to make sure that everything right there is flashed so water runs down over top of every thing.

Flash in such a manner that you are not depending on caulk to prevent leaks.

Lots of times it is much easier , at least for me , when I am right there in a problem area to figure out just how I need to make pieces to flash things. I always buy extra flat coil to make things how I need them.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Personally I love tin roofs , Make good money doing them. With my Black Max Tapco break I am able to bend the roof coil too. I custom make a lot of stuff right on the job.
I don't know what it is, I just don't like them :laughing: I custom make a lot of stuff on site too.

Someone is selling the machine that makes the ribbed tin roofs on Syracuse Craig's list.

·
Pro or somethin'...
612 Posts
One thing I find helpful in doing any flashing work is start at the bottom of the roof or window or whatever and always put the next piece of trim over the last one. I know its as simple as lapping it right for watershed but doing it in that order can sometimes simplify it.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
The next run of roofing panel is done in two pieces. The piece below the valley needs to be installed before the valley panel.

So the lower panel runs from the drip edge to a point say 8" or so above where the valley drains. Then the valley panel is laid over that panel. Then the upper panel is laid over the valley and the lower panel.

The system is put together like any other roof layout. The challenge is dealing with the ribs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts