Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hired a licensed contractor to move my two air conditioning condensers to a different location. One is a 3 ton for my upstairs and the other is a 4 ton for the downstairs. When they moved them, they hooked them up incorrectly and hooked the 3 ton condenser to my 4 ton unit and the 4 ton condenser to the 3 ton unit. I found the problem when I turned on the downstairs air and noticed that the air was warm. I wen toutside and found the 3 ton condeser frozen and the fan was not operating. My question is this:

I am sure they will come and switch them back (they actually hvae some more work to do modifying the ductwork as well), but is there damage to either condenser or unit I should be concerned about? I heard you cannot mix different size units with condensers. I don't wanna get ripped off. What should I do and what is the best way to protect myself? ANy advise wold be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As long as you shut them down and do not try to use them your damage should be minimal. There shouldn't be a charge to hook these units back up to their proper mates considering it was their goof.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HVAC DOC,

They ran for two days before I realized the problem. How would I know if there is any real damage as a result? If they fire up OK when they switch them back, should I not be concerned? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Really the only way to know if any signifigant damage was done will be when the systems are switched and started back up. If amp draw and pressure readings are steady, then no serious harm was done. If the pressures bounce the needles on the guages or "flutter", that is a good sign the valves were slugged with liquid refrigerant and are not sealing properly. Also, if the compressors are drawing higher than normal run load amps, that is a sign the compressors have weak windings and is only a matter of time before the compressors will fail to start/short out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts