Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glass

Rim I am replacing the tub suround on my personal home, But I cant get the beauty rings off the faucet, or the spout for that matter. What is the trick to removal? I am hoping to rebuild this cool old faucet while I have it apart. New seats and seals. This is probley from the 50's and appears to be a Kohler

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
I recommend an immediate exorcism.

I have a 4 valve set-up like that....don't know the brand, circa 1950.

·
Registered
684 Posts
View attachment 13097

View attachment 13098 I am replacing the tub suround on my personal home, But I cant get the beauty rings off the faucet, or the spout for that matter. What is the trick to removal? I am hoping to rebuild this cool old faucet while I have it apart. New seats and seals. This is probley from the 50's and appears to be a Kohler
:eek:

r/r it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks celtic, the beauty rings dont have holes in the bottom like some I have seem, and I have tryed pipe wrench and channel locks softly as to not hurt the chrome. This old house has both bathrooms with this same era faucets, 1 old cast iron tub and 1 claw foot. And of course the wife bought the house because of the cool old stuff, so HELP...LOL

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Considering the condition of the wall....I would cut it ALL out...then in the pristine conditions of my super secret bat cave, disassemble the beast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea the wall removal was my next project if I couldnt find an easy way to tear it apart properly, and the major rebuild of the faucet is part of the tub suround replacement....Thanks guys!

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Have you tried removing the valve handle ....looks like there is some sort of screw in it....hex or Phillip?

·
Registered
4 Posts
the screws will come out of the handles..elliots has a damaged screw extractor that works well or you can get a small ease out at ace hardware or elliots.the trimm will then unscrew.dont worry too much about scratching it because it is probably not going to survive anyway.you can get all new trim to fit that old thing at teters faucet parts in dallas,tx.they will ship you the parts....they are also experts in old faucets...they have all the valve stems and everything....sometimes i have even sent them a picture of the valve and they got me exactly what i needed.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I have an impact driver I use sometimes with stubborn/half stripped screws. It takes different bits and kind of works like an ez out when you strike it with a hammer. I am not sure where I got it , but it has sure come in handy a few times. Maybe soak them with some kind of penetrating oil?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts