Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Writer/Producer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently working on a Scaffold safety video. You guys were a lot of help last time so I've returned.

I've got a good understanding of what 'fabricated frame' scaffolds are, and 'tube-and-coupler' type scaffolds, but I'm having trouble finding a good, solid definition of what 'system scaffolds' are.

Can anyone help me define that term?

As always, any help very much appreciated.

Zach

·
Registered
495 Posts
generally there are three types of scaffolding: (non-wood that is)

frames with cross-braces, which you see commonly.

tube and clamp, exactly what it sounds like-steel tubes with different clamps, right angle clamps, swivel clamps, etc.

scaffold is built up with these tubes, piece by piece, plumb and level, probably takes the most skill of all types

system scaffold-this is with the rossettes in the uprights, evenly spaced, and "ledgers" poles at incremental lengths which lock into the rossettes. Used for big commercial jobs mostly.

·
Registered
495 Posts
so with the uprights with rosettess and ledgers at say 2' 4' 6' 8' 10' it is a system that snaps together, very fast and strong, faster to put together than tube and clamp, however tube and clamp often used in addition to system.

·
Writer/Producer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess my main misunderstanding is in drawing a distinction between 'fabricated frame' scaffold and 'system' scaffold. Can a fabricated frame scaffold be a system scaffold? Or are they mutually exclusive? Thank you both for your help.

Zach

·
Registered
759 Posts
A system scaffold seems to be more of a pipe and knuckle type set up.

Also I didn't see any mention of mast climbing scaffolding. Mast climbers are becoming very popular and I use them where ever possible because of how much labor they save.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not 100 percent on terminology, but if I am following BC correctly, the system scaffold is the style that is made up of posts with a ring that looks like the outline of a flower petals around the center. The connections are made thru these rings with a pin that is attached to the horizontal pcs.

With all of the holes in the ring, there are many options to build. Horizontals could leave the uprights in many angled directions if needed.

The fabricated frame is the type with ends, planks,etc you would see on most jobs.

Like BC said, I have only seen the system type in factories, power plants and the like. The versitility of set up lets it be built around obstacles etc where a fab frame could never go.

·
Registered
495 Posts
yeah that sounds about right Kelly, lots of diagonal braces too i think, it's been a few years since i've worked with the stuff, and only really seen it on commercial sites-a bridge, for instance.

But yeah it's a system that locks right in, with pins, can be set at variable spacing, incremental

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive always heard of the Safway brand scaffold being called the systems scaffold.

Then the scaffold used the most in Nuclear plants I've been in, is the Excel scaffolding. This is fast and easy, but if it gets really tight with Pipes and what not the cups can get in the way.

Cuplock scaffolding ive used on a few jobsites as well. Has a rotating cup with a cam style lock on top that compresses the horizontals into place and locks them in.

I had links to each showing the differences, but i dont have enough posts to be able to post links. They all have a cup style Tree and their own style of horizontals that lock in. You still usually end up using regular tube and knuckle components for your sways, braces, and tie offs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts