Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a little DIY for this forum, but maybe you can help.

I am pulling up my carpet of 30 years in my home (it is disgusting and old)... there are nice wood floors under there. Home depot told me to rent a large orbital sander for the main part of the room and then an edger for the corners and such..

What I dont understand is, should i do it in phases of sanding, such as a more course grit paper to a more fine grit over a few phases of sanding?

Do you guys have recommendations on what grit to use?

If there are gaps between the boards do i fill them in with wood filler?

How tough is it to get under baseboard heating with an edger?

Thanks in advance :)

Dan

·
Registered
206 Posts
Orbit Sander for T&G floors??? For the corners annd edging, an orbital edging sander is the tool. Belt Sander done with the grain for main floor.

After you attempt this, YOU WISH YOU WOULD OF HIRED A PRO. Especially for the finish application.

Hope you are not married. It's not worth the $$ you will save. TRUST ME!!

I'm a contractor and did it once myself. NEVER AGAIN !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, i have heard that its a real pain to do , especially the polyurethane finish... And yes, I am married, but my wife could care less if we kept the carpet. I am disgusted by it and embarrassed when people come over...

My deal was with her, I will pull up the carpets and do the floors myself, so we didnt have to hire a contractor (Budget is tight, I just opened a new business venture.)

So you think a orbital edging sander is the way to go for the corners and then a belt sander for the main part of the floor? Any suggestions on what grit to use?

·
Registered
206 Posts
DON"T DO IT!!!!

I'm sorry but I will not assist you in this mistake. You will end up taking way too long to do the job, you will get pissed, the wife will be pissed and then the floors will look like a true amateur did them.

If you don't even know what type of machine or sandpaper to use.............

Sit down and think about it for a minute. Hopefully you will come to your senses.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Mnemonic,

Believe it or not I did an entire room (approx. 200 sq. ft.) many years ago by sanding the entire thing with an orbital palm sander. It took awhile but I was younger and had the knees/energy for it plus money was really tight too. After the "hand" sanding I finished it myself as well.

An alternative would be to use a product that I have heard of that you can apply to old hardwood and have it restored all in one step - without sanding, I think? Now, I have never used it and I'm sorry but I can't remember the name but HD or your local big box store may stock it. Some of the floor experts might be able to chime in here and help you out as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mnemonic - If you absolutely must do this, do it like Decks said - use a handheld sander for the whole thing. It'll take a while but you'll have a lot more control over what it is you're removing. A large industrial sander in the hands of an unskilled person is a recipe for ruining an otherwise good hardwood floor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts