Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i not sure how the law is goes, but i really need to remodel my house. i need to expand my dinning room to the front yard so my dinning room look bigger. i have saw my neigbhor house do that. i asked them they said it was like that when the bought the house. i really want to expand my dinning room. i not sure how the process is, can any one show me. do i need to have a permit to do that, and how to obtain that permit if i needed. i expand about 70 inches to the front yard. i am currently live in San Jose Ca. if any one know the good and place that do all of this can you let me know. the most important factor is how much is cost do to something like this. for example, how much it cost to get a permite (asume that we needed) and how much is cost to expand the dinning room. what are the range that i should expect so i can plan out my bugget.
thank in advance.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
In most places you can be a homeowner/contractor. You will need to apply for permits and have inspections just like any other contractor. Most building depts. that I have dealt with make it pretty easy for the homeowner.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I thought

I thought certain munies charge a permit fee based on a percentage of the total remodel contruction cost. So you would need the figures when applying. Am i correct or dead wrong. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
You're probably both 747. Some probably do and some don't. In my county the homeowner is charged by the square foot of the remodel. Last bathroom permit I pulled was for a 70 sq ft bathroom and the permit was $68.00 for framing permit, plumbing, electrical and final.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
mike

I'm know expert but that sounds really cheap. I bet its not that cheap where teetor lives or where sound of these other guys do work out of. :cheesygri

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
4HUN said:
That is bigger than my current 50sq ft. bathroom addition. It is amazing to see every inspection as if I were building a house. It really is a pain. Can only do a few hours worth of work before we need to call in for the next inspection.
How do your inspections work time wise?

I can call in rough elec and plumbing and get an inspection the next day. If I call at 8:00 am the day of the inspection they will give me a 2 hr window. After rough elec and plumbing I can call in framing. My county is pretty easy to work with, in Denver county they have a drywall inspection and an insulation inspection which I don't have for remodeling. Of course we have mechanical rough too.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Mike, - - in one local town I work in, they act like it's nothing to make you wait over 2 WEEKS to check a light, a switch, and a GFCI for a bathroom. I have had to call and THREATEN you either show up tomorrow, - - or I just take pictures and keep working.

A buddy of mine waited I don't know how long to get his framing inspected (on an addition), - - then they actually made him wait 5 MORE DAYS for his insulation inspection (which was ready within an hour and a half of his framing).

Then they wonder why people don't want to get permits!! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Hell in one city I work in the inspector acts like he is being bothered which is great. Had some sonotubes inspected for a fence over six feet. He say's to me this is over kill don't you think. I say you signing it off he laugh's and signs.
Same inspector barely looked at a roof remodel I did and signed it off. I think he thought why build a small roof to code when the rest of the house was built in 1905.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts