Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My g/f sister lives in a old home (rental) the walls are for the most place shot. They wanted to move in their because it was a 3 bedroom vs a 2 bed room. the landlord has done nothing to this place in 40 plus years. lots of lg cracks and bad patch work. their no way they will pop for removal and dry wall, the walls are far from stright, and plumb.

is there any effective bandaids that mite help. they said the owner would cover some expenses. she's a real slum-lord,

her dad was their 40 years, and has paid for the place 5 times

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I've done lots of plaster patches and use my own mixes of mortar, thinset, and quickmud. Quickmud or Fastset drywall compound will accelerate any portland based plaster and patches can be 3 coated in a couple of hours. I never use tape on plaster and have never had a problem. The tools i use are a coulpe of plaster trowels, hawk, sponge float, grout bag, paddle mixer,1/2" drill. If you care to pm me and shoot me one ugly area at a time i can probably help you out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Adding 3/8" drywall will cover the old damaged horsehair plaster and a plaster skim coat might work too if you can find someone with that skill.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
There is an interior system similar to EFIS or Drivet using 3' rolls of fiberglass mesh. They don't guaranty anything if the plaster is not completely secure. I'm not a fan of drywall over plaster. It's hard to get the nails to set right on a soft backing. 3 inch roofing nails and drywall don't seem to go together.

·
Registered
158 Posts
There are also fabric wall coverings it they are not cheap. Try a good wallpaper store; they might know the best covering and a good installer.

In my experience drywall is installed with bugleheaded drywall screws using a "screw gun" in order to eliminate nail-pop later. Blued ring-shank drywall nail were once used but I haven't seen them since the 70's. The drywall screws will usually work in the old wood lath if the screw gun depth clutch is set properly.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You might bring up asbestos or lead paint remediation. It would take $$ to determine. It may be an idle threat but no one knows at this point. It could be helpful to your agenda.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Rob 53 said:
There is an interior system similar to EFIS or Drive-it using 3' rolls of fiberglass mesh. They don't guaranty anything if the plaster is not completely secure. I'm not a fan of drywall over plaster. It's hard to get the nails to set right on a soft backing. 3 inch roofing nails and drywall don't seem to go together.

You are absolutely correct. I seen them repair a section of bad plaster walls on this old house using that method. Rolls of like fiberglass mess then like skimming over it. As i recall it was on a few big sections of wall that were in tough shape. I thought it was awesome but i never caught the actual name of the stuff.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
OUTHOUSE TO WHITEHOUSE scrape and dig out all loose plaster. Take router and router out allcracks. Tape all cracks with beadex yellow(xtra glue) flush with set fast 90. Retexture, plaster-coat hand apply is best as you can match a texture to era of home.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i think hes looking for a band-aid, because they are renting, and dont want to spend much. i would try plaster of paris. not the right way of doing things but for your purpose it should work. it sticks to almost anything and sands super easy.

·
Banned
17 Posts
band-aid

I have do several of these type of walls? I have had good luck with puting a coat of joint compound (green bucket).and giving it a spanish finish i would have to show you then explain? If there are cracks i use the mess tape, and it seems to work great, as far a holes i fill them with the compound and then cover with the tape and appy my finish coat. I have done like 4 rentals quick fixes and have never had to be called back yet!! I finish iam talking about is just take some compound and use a cement tool and just spread it and give it a neat look although you have to do the whole wall, and can be time consuming but when done it looks Great>>>>>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts