Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that wants my windows and are ready but she just e-mailed me and asked if i can do better... i really gave her a good price but i need to make my nut. advice on how to say i gave her the best price ect...

·
Banned
846 Posts
"Ma'am this is the price for the project you requested. If this is currently beyond your means let's talk about reducing the scope of work to meet the budget you had in mind."

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I consider myself a pretty good salesman. My hit ratio is somewhere around 80%. Word of mouth helps a lot but mostly it's because I believe in the product 100% and I tell the truth.

If you believe the number is the right and fair number. If you believe you are going to provide excellent value at a competitive price. Then stand your ground and sell the number.

You stand to earn more respect by standing behind your price than caving to a little pressure to lower it.

If she insists then make a suggestion on reducing the scope of work. See if she will budge.

Confidence in yourself, your abilities and your price goes a long long way to closing a sale.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
It's simple, cover your nut or lose your ass sounds like this lady is gonna be oh damn what's that word, oh yeah pita, give her the price and don't budge if she doesn't like it move on.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
I have a customer that wants my windows and are ready but she just e-mailed me and asked if i can do better... i really gave her a good price but i need to make my nut. advice on how to say i gave her the best price ect...

I have a reply, but it will get blanked out, totally blanked out :rolleyes:

So...how about, maam, you have my nut(s) in your hand(s), please don't squeeze too hard, thank you much... :whistling

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Ditto.

To be honest their have been a few times that a customer catches me off guard and asks me the "can you do better" question. Even though I feel it's a good price and I've done my homework I open my mouth with nothing to say, a terrible combination. Although I'm not a big computer guy E-mails are a nice way to communicate sometimes. You get time to formulate a response.

Good luck.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Don't get too worried about it.

What's "better?" Do you know what better is in her mind? $1, $100, $1000?

I don't ever get worried about this stuff, most of the time it's just a reaction they have. It's the oh sh*t I'm about to say yes and spend all this money... now hang on... I better make sure there isn't any left to save here...

Either just ignore it and show up for your appointment and watch her not even bring it up.

Or just ask her what better is? You're probably think some number and she might be thinking something totally innocuous. Never assume the worst. I can't tell you how many times in sales somebody has said, can you do better and I'd ask them what is better and it would be some tiny amount that you'd have to keep the laugher to yourself. Or they would come back with some other amount, like maybe $1200 and I'd say... hmmm... let me see...now I don't think I can do that much, but I bet I can come pretty close and with a straight face, I'd sit there and contemplate the numbers, do some mental calculations, look at the ceiling, look back at the paper, scratch something out... then say.. I can get it down another $64.00. How is that?

Try that sometime and have fun with the reactions. You'll be amazed how many times that $1200 just went to.... uh.... okay $64.00 then. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
"Well mam I was actually just going over the numbers of your job and I can't beleive I cut it that close. But since you seemed like a such a goodhearted person when we met I'm glad I gave you such a deal!":thumbup:

USUALLY this shouldn't make you TOTALY incompetent it just looks like they're getting by with a KILLER deal due to your AHEM "clerical error".

I feel it's better to give the illusion rather than caving in and making the statement a reality!:w00t:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,745 Posts
Do the head scratching, looking at the ceiling and then write an number down on a pc of paper and slide it to her. Make sure it is $50 higher than the last number you gave her.

Then you can go...Oh, gee.....I guess the first number was the best I could do.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Do the head scratching, looking at the ceiling and then write an number down on a pc of paper and slide it to her. Make sure it is $50 higher than the last number you gave her.
And would that be the first installment of the "nuisance" fee subject to go up in $50 incraments?:whistling

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,745 Posts
And would that be the first installment of the "nuisance" fee subject to go up in $50 incraments?:whistling
I see our thinking is in line with each other :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts