Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping someone could give some advise on what to do. Recently I had surgery so I had to hire a subcontractor to finish a remodel job I was doing. This individual had done other work for me in the past so I felt he could handle the remodel project. After getting some other complaints on some other jobs he had done I went to the remodel to see how things were going only to find it was a complete disaster. The guy has taken money and has walked off the job. I have nothing in writing (stupid I know) the entire project has to be redone in 20 years of business this has never happen to me What are my options.
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Kinda short on options if you dont have anything in writing. It'll be he said she said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but

I think there is more then a he said she said...the work he did is won g and in some areas not to code so I think there is more to this just not sure how to proceed. Do I go to my insurance or his kind of thing. I'm waiting on a reply from my insurance company just thought maybe someone here may have been thru something like this.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Coachmy4 said:
He's gone but I have $15,000 that he cost me.
Get an attorney first. Second finish the job for your costumer. 3rd scorch the earth to find this miserable s o b and make him pay.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Costly lesson..... but something for all of us to consider.... you try to cover your customer due to your sickness... and get beat up for it.

I'm not sure how you could have covered yourself.... maybe by contract/agreement transfering responsibility to your replacement.

I don't know.... any ideas out there.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Get an attorney first. Second finish the job for your costumer. 3rd scorch the earth to find this miserable s o b and make him pay.
All City... In all honesty what is an attorney going to do.... apart from billing you to tell you to forgat it (if he;s honest) or pursue it if he thinks you have deep pockets.

·
Registered
132 Posts
MTN REMODEL LLC said:
All City... In all honesty what is an attorney going to do.... apart from billing you to tell you to forgat it (if he;s honest) or pursue it if he thinks you have deep pockets.
I would get an opinion this guys out 15k just hard to shake off and move on. Hard lesson as the op said he has had other complaints from past costumers.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I don't know how contracting laws are in your state, but here in NJ, it sounds like you subbed the job out to this other contractor.

If you don't have a written contract (NJ anything over $400) with him you are SOL. Judge will read YOU the riot act for not conforming to NJ contractors law.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts