Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get a motor apart to replace the O rings for the impeller. The motor is out of my hot tub, and has a slow leak. It's coming from the seal where the shaft goes into the impeller. I can't seem to get the impeller housing off the motor. I've tried everything I can think of. I'm not sure if it's just corroded on, or I'm just doing something wrong. Any suggestions on how to get it off? Here are some pics of it...

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's reverse threaded, correct? I have tried to unthread it, but with no luck. I sprayed it with WD-40 and let soak for some time, still no movement. I'm unsure of how to pursue without breaking any of the plastic parts. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
4,617 Posts
I think you might have messed up already. If those plastic parts are ABS, then the WD40 will attack it and cause it to crack and become brittle.

Ask any plumber, ABS and anything with oils in it = failure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Generally speaking those types of pumps are not reveres threaded. You really did a job on that pump!!! If I were you I would just buy a new pump at this point. But if you need closure here’s what you do grab the front of that impeller with a pair of channel locks (grab it hard enough to hold it firmly but not so hard you break it) grab the end of the motor shaft and turn the impeller counter clockwise. It maybe so corroded on there that it still might break, if it does it will most likely break at the stem so you will still be able to remove the seal plate. What you will have is a plastic sleeve covering the threaded end of the motor shaft. to get this off take a hack saw blade and make a few cuts in this sleeve (not all the way through you don’t want to damage the threads) then take a flat head screw driver put the head in the groves and tap it the sleeve should the break away.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I decided to just order a new pump, and stop while I was still ahead (still working pump). I put the old one back together for the time being, since this is the circulator pump. The corrosion on the motor is do to the leak it developed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.