Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any tools that will make the job of lifting rolls of membrane around on the roof a little easier?
Right now I have to have 6 guys on the roof just to move one of those rolls around and some of them are getting hurt in the process.
We've just added membrane roofing to the services we offer I and didn't realize what a problem that this would be I guess.
Any suggetions would be helpful!

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
a crane

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need something to move the rolls around AFTER they've been craned up on to the roof. A crane is pretty expensive to have sitting around waiting for another roll to be moved only 30 feet!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Did a barrel roof this summer and we used 5-6' steel bars stuck in the cores as handles. It was heavy as sh!t but took 2 guys to move from lull to peak.

·
Registered
12,916 Posts
I saw a roofing crew move the rolls with a trailer on the back of an ATV. When the job was done a crane moved all the equipment off the roof.

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
manually lifting rolls of membrane

Our guys used to roll the rolls into place. However when that is not possible due to gaslines , electrical conduit or other obstructions they have to carry the rolls. using the rolling method sometimes will damage the first few feet of membrane on the roll, it also doesnt make the tenants very happy if you are reroofing an occupied space. (gets pretty noisy) This past year they have been using a tool called a roll handler. It makes carrying the rolls a lot easier and safer (no injuries) We purchased ours from big rock supply but I have seen them other places also. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't roof but I use something that might work. What about log carts or timber dollies. Its basically 2 wheeled cart. I built mine out of a cheap quad trailer. Its rated for 500#. Moves 20' fir 8x8s like a dream even over rough terrain. Mine weighs roughly 30# so it would be portable enough to take to the roof.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts