Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Thanks for helping.

I have a set of steel 3d reindeer and santa. I would like to install them on the very top peak ridge of my roof.

Is there anyway I can screw these into the shingles and be able to have it not be damaged by water.

I dont mind leaving braces or straps up there to reuse again for next year

I have a standard osb/felt shingles. the heritage tabs.

Thanks for any assistance, maybe i am chasing a shadow.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Aint no fricken way i'd chance breaking into a roof for a dang christmas orniment...your a nut.

If i were to put up something like this, i would make a jig that wrapped over the peak of the roof that the reindeer could fasten too and then use sand bags to weight it down onto the roof so it does'nt blow away/tip over.

I imagine this post will be removed shortly, good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I'm with IHI. It's a fun idea but a bit impractical.

I also see a potential for disaster if the wind get's ahold of it just right and it's not secured properly.

:santa:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Is their any way to run a cable from the chimney to a tree or pole and hang the sleigh off that?...then you could have reindeer too...:clap:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Is their any way to run a cable from the chimney to a tree or pole and hang the sleigh off that?...then you could have reindeer too...:clap:
Tree to tree would probably be better. The tensile strength of the mortar may not be enough to keep the chimney from being damaged. I think it would depend on how far above the roofline it was attached, the total weight of Santa and crew, and the method of attachment.

The brickies here might have some ideas on the feasability of that.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
My grandfather had a similar set-up on his roof for over 20 years. I got to help set it up a time or two or three or :whistling

In his case he has about a 4/12 pitch roof with cedarshakes, about a dozen zinc eyelet fasteners screwed right into the roof, in various spots as needed, never leaked.

In your case I would say definetly seal them in some shape, form, or fashion.
We just lashed everything down to those eyelets, etc. worked great. :thumbsup:

You just have to decide whats right for you, if your going to keep doing it, you'll need a simple routine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
sleigh

A photo of what your doing would help,but the best thing would be to make bracketts that go under the shingle similar to a roof jack for a steep roof applications and then mount off of it,It would mean breaking the seal on the shingles and tucking it under the shingles and fastening with nails or screws if permanent nails will work fine.You may also need to remove a few shingles to mount it at first

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your help (IHI) I ended up making jig on the peak and then screwed sandbags into the brace and strapped the lights on. (JM) Thank you I hung two of the reindeer off our tree.

Here is a picture ``

Attachments

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Be sure to have an adjuster come out in the spring to make sure santa and those dam deer did'nt damage the shingles....fat bastard has ruined many a roof screwing around on them in the winter time. shingles just are'nt as strong when they're cold:laughing:

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Thank you all for your help (IHI) I ended up making jig on the peak and then screwed sandbags into the brace and strapped the lights on. (JM) Thank you I hung two of the reindeer off our tree.

Here is a picture ``
It looks awesome:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts