Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys/Ladies....

Been awhile since I've been around. I've retired and sold/bought/moved to warm country in Nevada... but I'll always miss and call Colorado home. Hope everyone is doing well.:thumbsup:

In process of RR on "new" 20 year old home.

I'm having a he11uva time trying to match this homes existing oak cabinetry.

As background... these were production built (extensive thru the area) and are 1996 version (so likely some aging affect). I have tried to find/pin down the manufacturer or the finisher without any success.

I had one person think they remember that it was called something like "Pearl/Perlized" oak finish.

It is Oak with what at first appears to me to be a white wash effect and likely a white pickling.

I've tried Old Masters/Minwax/white pickling/Another brand recommended by local Jones BM dealer/custom mixed SW stain/..... with both a poly semi gloss and a water poly semi finish.

Actually, the closest I have come is with an Olympic custom tinted semi-solid deck stain... wiped on-off and a oil poly.

But in examining the finish up close, and considering it is production built, I'm wondering if it somehow done with a tinted finish (laquor or poly), and not stained at first at all.

If looked at closely, there seems to be no distinct stain coloring, either in the grain necessarily, or in any corners. It is almost like a whiteish tint evenly all over.

In the cabinets I've made, I have tried to use the lightest oak I could find/cull.

Does anyone know how these were done and how I can replicate better, or any other suggestions as to product or technique that I can try.?????

I've tried to show pics in different light.... it is very light with some tan tint.

Thanks in advance for any/all help or advice.....

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Minwax pickled oak.

Did an office in the mid 90's to match the 'blonde' finish of the late 50's. And that's the stuff in the images. Sherwinn Williams may have something close also. But theirs is more white pigment, with less 'transparent' stain/oil look.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Going to be near impossible to positively ID stain color/finish based on a pic...

You didn't say what you needed it for, but to save you time, send one of your drawer fronts to one of the following door makers to color match...

www.eliaswoodwork.com
www.walzcraft.com
www.conestogawood.com

All three have stain colors in that family, and are pretty accurate with their results...

·
Registered
26,141 Posts
Use the back of a door and do some light sanding with fine sandpaper to see what's under that pickled look. It could be something, it could be nothing, but you need to have that part close to get the final look. Pay special attention to how the grain was handled.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TEXAS WAX.... Thanks.... I had tried Minwax, but went and checked and not sure if I used their water whitewash product or their #260 Pickled white Oak.

I don't think I realized they had two similar/but diffrenet product. The closet BB store is 40 miles.... hope they have both... worth a test.

(Actually, several months ago, I faked some oak laundry room cabinets pretty well as they are not in the same room.... but these cabinets I just made will be contiguos to existing cabinets on the island.)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to be near impossible to positively ID stain color/finish based on a pic...

You didn't say what you needed it for, but to save you time, send one of your drawer fronts to one of the following door makers to color match...

www.eliaswoodwork.com
www.walzcraft.com
www.conestogawood.com

All three have stain colors in that family, and are pretty accurate with their results...
KAP... Thanks.... I'm pretty new here, and I carried the cab front into both SW and Jones BM... but neither were worth a darn. Back in Colorado, I did have a good stain guy I could count on.

Thanks for the references, maybe I will have to, but then I can't really inspect what they come up with:blink:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
HDAVIS.... Good idea.... I'm going to go do it... at least I should be able to tell if the whitewash is in the finish or on the wood as a stain.

Never thought of that.... carefully upclose looking at it, I can't see/detect actual stain in the grain, nor in any corners.... I did notice a little at the rail/stile joint one one cabinet, but that could be just a slight buildup of pigmented clear finish.

Maybe sanding will confirm.....

Best

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
After you get the general tone right, you will probably have to amber tone it to kill the brightness of a pickle finish. The original finish probably had a slight pink cast to it, that over time diminishes. Reds fade fast.

I would start with the white pickle, & add a little light brown pigment stain to help with the aging effect. Just buy the pickle, & add others to adjust/match.

·
Registered
26,141 Posts
HDAVIS.... Good idea.... I'm going to go do it... at least I should be able to tell if the whitewash is in the finish or on the wood as a stain.

Never thought of that.... carefully upclose looking at it, I can't see/detect actual stain in the grain, nor in any corners.... I did notice a little at the rail/stile joint one one cabinet, but that could be just a slight buildup of pigmented clear finish.

Maybe sanding will confirm.....
Sometimes you can pick up clues on the bottoms / sides of drawers, but a little sanding is pretty definitive.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
KAP... Thanks.... I'm pretty new here, and I carried the cab front into both SW and Jones BM... but neither were worth a darn. Back in Colorado, I did have a good stain guy I could count on.

Thanks for the references, maybe I will have to, but then I can't really inspect what they come up with:blink:
They can all provide sample chips to ship back with your drawerfront...

At lease you have options if your trial and error doesn't yield the results you want...

·
Administrator
44,102 Posts
2 part bleach, takes the color out of the oak. Pickling stain, has to be made right to avoid the pink tone, has to be made to go on oak. Couple of clear coats.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts