Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get as much information and feedback about GAF Grand canyon shingles as I can.

My old Boss called me up and said that he was getting sued and asked if I could do some research on these shingles for him. After going up on the roof and looking at the shingles I could not pick out any destinct problems with the roof. But the home owner is Running the lawsuit off of tecnicalities. The first of which on the directions as far as I can remember they state that the starter rows have to be cut at 5", 15" and so on. Some of our shingle cuts mesuare 5 1/4 some 5 3/4 not all exaclty 5". Some of the shigle rows are not perfectly straight they would get a swail in them once and a while then a line would be snapped to straighten them out and so on. The roof is sound. the GAF Rep gave the roof an 8 out of 10 score for the roof. 1 Point because the wrong ridge cap was used. My boss was supplied them by the general contractor on the Job and as far as anybody knew they were the right ones. and one point off because the instructions state that there needs to be two starter rows laid down and my boss only laid down one. His lawyer said that if we could find other shinglers that either had problems with the shingles or any other information about how much they were a crappy product that it would help in the case. Maybe everybody likes them I don't know.

The whole thing about it is the home owner is just sue happy. He is also taking the truss company to court and the heating and air company to court along with the shingler. essentially everyone but the general contractor. So any info on the product would be helpful. thanks.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Sounds like your customer is just trying to do whatever he can to not pay his bill. Someone should put him in a ditch.

If GAF gave you an 8 out of 10; correct 1 and 2 and resubmit your bill. Better yet make the customer to agree after you fix 1 and 2.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
One starter row?

Did I read that right?

The way it's done is one row upside down, thats the starter, then the first row on top of that, with the seams staggered. Thats pretty much industry standard, if your boss did it without starter, the customer might think he doesn't know what hes doing.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for clarification he laid a double row of weather watch brand ice guard, then a starter row which was three tab shingles with the tabs cut off so that the seal strip would seal to the bottom edge of the first shingle. then we started with the first stagger of Grand Canyons, standard shingle practice here. But the Package instructions say that along with the three tab starter we need to cut an additional starter out of The grand canyon shingles themselves by cutting off five inches off the top and laying them top of the three tabs.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Some people will try to sue for anything. Some courts will grant them their wishes. Try to negotiate to make it right. Get it in writing, as well as their response.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Dakota said:
for clarification he laid a double row of weather watch brand ice guard, then a starter row which was three tab shingles with the tabs cut off so that the seal strip would seal to the bottom edge of the first shingle. then we started with the first stagger of Grand Canyons, standard shingle practice here. But the Package instructions say that along with the three tab starter we need to cut an additional starter out of The grand canyon shingles themselves by cutting off five inches off the top and laying them top of the three tabs.
Look in the code.

In most codes it is stated that the manufacturer's instructions are to be followed.

That means that the manufacturer's instructions ARE THE CODE.

Follow the code.

If you do not have a code book, imagine this:

Me ROFLMFAO.

Sorry, but that's the way it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts