Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to match bottom board it was painted I striped and sanded it. The bottom board is from 1885 window sill. Order of boards goes.

Maple
Oak
Cherry
Need to match.

The cherry looks pretty dang close just looking for a second opinion. To make sure I get this right. The cherry looks closer in person than the picture.

Cole

Attachments

·
Pro
37 Posts
Do you have a picture of just that last board? I agree with you that #2 and #3 are oak and cherry. and i cant see the first one.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
The cherry looks like the best match to me. What are you matching? I'd be hesitant to go for a perfect match on cherry as it can change a fair bit, even with some toner on it. Sometimes the maple is safer as it will keep the same color. Can you guys get more than one kind of maple out there?

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing original in this room are two windows, the rest of the casing and base has been replaced. So they asked me to strip these two windows. Then make period correct base. Also make casing to match this old casing from the two original windows. Just need to get the species correct then I can make sample stain boards for them to pick from.

I have to order a lot of my wood from out of state I am in a rural area.

These pictures are with water only spread on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
its Maple or Birch...

cherry would be redder.

its an aged Maple/birch.

assuming you have to use the correct species..the cherry looks good as far as color matching goes.
cheery once stained will become more color fast

you can age your maple using rusty water and pre soaking it..

then use dye stains and transtints as needed

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Could it be elm? We never see it at the lumber yard because of the dutch elm extinction but it used to be very common. I don't know if it was widely used in construction but I was looking for an image and this came up, from ohio.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Really looks like birch, maybe maple. Cherry that old should be darker than birch.

Maple with a 'cherry' like stain can be a very close match for aged cherry millwork.

Cedar Rapids is a "Rural" area :laughing:? Have an old friend that's from there originally. Been there a few times. Never heard of anyone call it rural ;)

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cedar Rapids is a "Rural" area :laughing:? Have an old friend that's from there originally. Been there a few times. Never heard of anyone call it rural ;)
I list Cedar rapids because it its the closest big city. I'm an hour away east of it. I'm in a town of 250 population.

I'm going to try and get my hands on chestnut and see out that is closer.

Cole

1 - 20 of 24 Posts