Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Maybe you guys might have better luck in your trades but around here with masonry good luck finding one that is not a drinker

It’s either somebody that doesn’t speak a lick of English or their drinkers

LOL

David

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,893 Posts
Maybe you guys might have better luck in your trades but around here with masonry good luck finding one that is not a drinker

It’s either somebody that doesn’t speak a lick of English or their drinkers

LOL

David
Window cleaners nationwide are the worst.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
First, you have a LEGAL ISSUE. If he comes to the job with alcohol in his system (i.e. hungover from a really long night) and you allow him to work that is on you altogether. Hungover means UNSAFE, unsafe means harm to property and persons. Do NOT allow it at all. ZERO TOLERANCE.
When I say that I mean, if you know and or believe the guy is unsafe then take him for a blood test. If positive and above your state's zero threshold then terminate immediately. Tell all other employees that he is NOT allowed on any job site and to call the POLICE if he arrives.

I am not the boss on any job site and not the job super, but I have made it clear that any weed or alcohol on the job and I will oder those persons off the job site PERSONALLY. I tell the super the reason is I WANT TO GO HOME TO MY WIFE AND FAMILY UNINJURED and do not with to be a WITNESS to property damage due to inebriation. The Supers KNOW that I am right and will uphold it if I make it happen. The reason: they become PERSONALLY LIABLE if they allow it. I have even sent subcontractors' employees from the job. I will do it again as well.

SO, what do do now? First write a COMPANY POLICY that defines zero tolerance on the job, this includes X times tardy or no show in Y days and includes any Saturday and or Sunday assignments that you made = TERMINATION. Second, inebriation on the job = instant termination. All job injuries and or property damage = drug/alcohol test. Doctor's Excuse, after 2-3 days required to return to work. MUST call in within X minutes of shift if calling sick or late. Failure to do so= TERMINATION.

Make a smoking policy. Smoking only allowed during tear out and rough in operations, once drywall up, no smoking EXCEPT AT BREAK AND LUNCH. No smoking in any company vehicle (this is state law in general across the USA). All butts POLICED at all times (that does not mean tossed into the hollow of a block wall) ( I am a smoker and follow this no issue, including field stripping to assure no fires)
Include VAPING policy. (I vape until paint, once final coat of paint is on no vaping).
Smoking does not give extra break time.

Today your legal issue is that you allowed him to work after termination. Now you have re-hired him and have not given written reprimand. This creates a legal issue for you and also a workmen's comp issue as well as unemployment insurance issue. You need to get YOUR stuff together because this is more serious than you think as far as your company.

What to do today? Sit down and WRITE HIM UP with written reprimand and warnings. Tell him in writing that he is on PROBATION and that any violation WILL result in termination. Ask him to sign the copy you have. If he will not that is OK and legal. Just note on YOUR COPY "employee refused to sign, date and time" File it. Then if he breaks the rules or warnings, TERMINATE IMMEDIATELY AND IN WRITING. DO NOT STATE A CAUSE IN WRITING, but keep a copy with date and time. Stating cause can create an entirely different legal issue. Your attorney will thank you for leaving that open and letting him deal with unemployment department later.

Anyone who declares they are an alcoholic fall under different rules and you need to consult your attorney before writing anything. Certainly IF you write something you have to include a plan that meets ADA minimums.

In the future make sure you have full written policies for all those you help through employing them. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Well now it’s ****ing with my head so I fired him and his roommate.

Now hiring.
I kept one so he can tell the tale.
Tough to hear, but I appreciate your advice. Guy’s gone. It sucks to put a guy out of work when you know he’s struggling, but them’s the breaks.

Cheers.
Well, he's been gone for hours now. He wasn't actually drinking on the job...

Thanks for the sage advice.
Lol @ paying with a case of 10 ten high.

Fired him yesterday. Today has been nice and stress free. Ready for a whole new week.

Thanks.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,333 Posts
First, you have a LEGAL ISSUE. If he comes to the job with alcohol in his system (i.e. hungover from a really long night) and you allow him to work that is on you altogether. Hungover means UNSAFE, unsafe means harm to property and persons. Do NOT allow it at all. ZERO TOLERANCE.
When I say that I mean, if you know and or believe the guy is unsafe then take him for a blood test. If positive and above your state's zero threshold then terminate immediately. Tell all other employees that he is NOT allowed on any job site and to call the POLICE if he arrives.

I am not the boss on any job site and not the job super, but I have made it clear that any weed or alcohol on the job and I will oder those persons off the job site PERSONALLY. I tell the super the reason is I WANT TO GO HOME TO MY WIFE AND FAMILY UNINJURED and do not with to be a WITNESS to property damage due to inebriation. The Supers KNOW that I am right and will uphold it if I make it happen. The reason: they become PERSONALLY LIABLE if they allow it. I have even sent subcontractors' employees from the job. I will do it again as well.

SO, what do do now? First write a COMPANY POLICY that defines zero tolerance on the job, this includes X times tardy or no show in Y days and includes any Saturday and or Sunday assignments that you made = TERMINATION. Second, inebriation on the job = instant termination. All job injuries and or property damage = drug/alcohol test. Doctor's Excuse, after 2-3 days required to return to work. MUST call in within X minutes of shift if calling sick or late. Failure to do so= TERMINATION.

Make a smoking policy. Smoking only allowed during tear out and rough in operations, once drywall up, no smoking EXCEPT AT BREAK AND LUNCH. No smoking in any company vehicle (this is state law in general across the USA). All butts POLICED at all times (that does not mean tossed into the hollow of a block wall) ( I am a smoker and follow this no issue, including field stripping to assure no fires)
Include VAPING policy. (I vape until paint, once final coat of paint is on no vaping).
Smoking does not give extra break time.

Today your legal issue is that you allowed him to work after termination. Now you have re-hired him and have not given written reprimand. This creates a legal issue for you and also a workmen's comp issue as well as unemployment insurance issue. You need to get YOUR stuff together because this is more serious than you think as far as your company.

What to do today? Sit down and WRITE HIM UP with written reprimand and warnings. Tell him in writing that he is on PROBATION and that any violation WILL result in termination. Ask him to sign the copy you have. If he will not that is OK and legal. Just note on YOUR COPY "employee refused to sign, date and time" File it. Then if he breaks the rules or warnings, TERMINATE IMMEDIATELY AND IN WRITING. DO NOT STATE A CAUSE IN WRITING, but keep a copy with date and time. Stating cause can create an entirely different legal issue. Your attorney will thank you for leaving that open and letting him deal with unemployment department later.

Anyone who declares they are an alcoholic fall under different rules and you need to consult your attorney before writing anything. Certainly IF you write something you have to include a plan that meets ADA minimums.

In the future make sure you have full written policies for all those you help through employing them. I hope this helps. Good luck.
So you're not a boss on any jobsite then proceeded to tell a bunch if boss's on jobsites what to do?

You seem like some kind of exceptionally special snowflake.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
At no point in my career would I of ever let anyone not my boss "order me off a jobsite", you'd be the one leaving if it was one of us lol, 17 year old ditch digger to home builder. I worked plenty of times hung over as a kid too, pure as driven snow by 10 am sweated that evil out. Lol

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
The next time you purchase a truck DO NOT SEE THAT SALESMAN. Instead write to 5 or 6 dealerships with the exact vehicle you want, down to instruments and paint etc, all equipment. Address the letter on company letterhead to the "fleet sales manager" BY NAME and TITLE. Ask for bids from each. They will bid.
Then go talk to that same salesman. I bet you will beat his numbers by 2-10K. I did this twice and saved 4800 the first time and a little more the second. That was on a +/-20K vehicle each time.
BTW you can also give them your credit reports with the RFQ and ask what they will do for finance after getting your bank's numbers. This way you can beat your salesman out completely and or beat him down below the fleet sales price. Remember, the fleet sales manager is tagging your purchase onto other larger companies deals!
Nah he's my salesman because he's got best prices. I drive two hours to get the vehicles. My wofes 2019 Limited explorer was 40k brand new, I have two 2019 F250 4x4 crew cab gasser SXTs I paid 35k for, a 2017 same model was 31k brand new,, a 2019 F250 Lariat Diesel 4x4 we paid 58k for out the door, brand new. Good luck finding better prices than that. Good luck

I did buy my personal truck in Gainesville from another dealership- I always sdo due diligence and I got a brand new f350 dual wheel 4x4 diesel SXT chrome package for 50k even, put a bed cover, ranch hand grill gaurd, Tesla screen, Katskyn leather, B& W 3 ball and goose neck hitches, Weather techs in for another 5k. 100 bucks says you couldn't beat that with a bull whip

He is just building two 2022 trucks for me in the computer in a couple days , f350 3:73 rear end, 4x4 ultimate Lariat 6.7 10 speed tranny, midnight blue : fleet side and dual wheel. I'll post order sheets when I get them

I dont haggle, stuck with the salesman who got that. You bring up msrp to me I'll walk out and never come back

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,487 Posts
When you see advertisements stating....$10,000.00 below MSRP, you know they have an awful lot of room to play with.
Even when they start talking "our invoice price"...they are still lying through their teeth to you.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
When you see advertisements stating....$10,000.00 below MSRP, you know they have an awful lot of room to play with.
Even when they start talking "our invoice price"...they are still lying through their teeth to you.
Chitty industry, full of jack legs

I can't imagine selling anything like most try to sell cars

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,487 Posts
Chitty industry, full of jack legs

I can't imagine selling anything like most try to sell cars

Either can I.
When the business changed, I got out.
I was lucky enough though to be a part of a dealership that really did treat the customers and the staff well.
It started as a Hudson dealership back in the 30's and was passed down to the gentleman I worked for. He treated people the way he wanted to be treated.
His son took over (silver spoon syndrome) and that was the end of that.
It was all torn down and is now a CVC pharmacy.
The son is raking in $13K per month for lease money.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
I like the truck salesman I have. No games, just the price. Have turned several buyers onto him and I think most have been pleased.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

121 - 132 of 132 Posts