Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 132 Posts

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
Sounds like you should review your hiring practices. While "Breathing" is a requirement for a new hire, it's not a qualification. Guy comes in, plays you, and still has a job. How's this going to end up to your benefit?

Maybe the guy is capable of performing to your expectations, maybe not. So far you've allowed him way too much leeway. You haven't really said what his job is (sounds like basic labor), but it sounds like he doesn't much respect the job or you.

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hiring practices are strained as of late. If you’ve got a lot of high quality folks itching to do demolition labor in your neighborhood, send them my way.

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I haven’t been played, as far as I can tell. Guy said he would do better and he has. That’s the object behind reviewing performance.

The benefit to me will be if my faith in his ability to get his **** together yields me a reliable, loyal worker. If he doesn’t figure it out, he’ll be gone. I’ve had plenty of worse applicants in my Indeed inbox.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
That's why I keep it small, I have no patience with drama.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
Yep, more bodies is more personalities and more drama.

My old man and I were at a Remodelers Advantage roundtable in New Orleans and I took growth and scaling roundtables and my dad took a couple Legacy roundtables that discussed succession - he walked out of the second and said we'd already passed where they were talking. He sat in on one of mine I couldn't make as I was in a accounting seminar, and a friend of mine through RA and Builder20 whose a builder in another state was in there. He said the facilitator asked asked my dad (to engage him in the conversation, he was just sitting there all stoic and chit) how did you know when it was time to hire and grow sir?

He didn't hesitate and said if it was just my show I'd of stopped growing when I ran out of sons. They seem to want to take it a bit further so you should ask them 😆

He's not built for drama either lol.

When we left that convention he said that gal (Victoria Downing) sure has a sure fire way of making money, 6k a year, and then you pay her a profit to rent a hotel and set up some dinner and then put contractors in rooms to talk among themselves 😆

·
Registered
857 Posts
Lot's of people drink and smoke. Some are good employees and some are a pain in the rear.
You have hired one of the latter and it's time to cut him from the herd.

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Sounds like you should review your hiring practices. While "Breathing" is a requirement for a new hire, it's not a qualification. Guy comes in, plays you, and still has a job. How's this going to end up to your benefit?

Maybe the guy is capable of performing to your expectations, maybe not. So far you've allowed him way too much leeway. You haven't really said what his job is (sounds like basic labor), but it sounds like he doesn't much respect the job or you.
Tough to hear, but I appreciate your advice. Guy’s gone. It sucks to put a guy out of work when you know he’s struggling, but them’s the breaks.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
My brother is finishing a patio cover for someone in home hospice- kidneys and liver failing.

Construction worker, years of drugs and drink. Body is failing.

51 years old. Two adult children, two preteens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
W
I picked up a new guy last week. First day was Thursday. Uneventful. Friday, I told him to take a break and offered to let him run the ac in my new F550 and chill for a few while I ran the lull for a few.

I looked over at him a few times while I was driving and he’s got the truck running, ac on, door wide open, and he’s sitting on the seat with his legs on the running board, playing with his phone. I think, “Goodness this guy is too old to not know how AC works.”

But I let that go. Til I got back to the truck and opened the drivers door and it stinks of cigarette smoke in there. Seriously? He had been smoking the whole time, which I couldn’t see because I had been preocuppied. So I immediately told him don’t smoke in my truck. He said, “That’s why I had the door open.”

You can probably picture a grim faced angry bastage holding back a homocide and instead saying, “Well, it’s a brand new seventy-thousand dollar truck, and I don’t smoke.” He gave a weak acknowledgement and it was over.

Next day (Saturday), he’s the only one who can work and is supposed to meet me at 7:00. I text him at 7:30. Nothing. 9:30 he texts me to say he’s really sorry, left his phone one the table and didn’t charge it. 2.5 hr after start time is first I hear? No, thanks. Text him right back, first the truck now this ****, I’ll have a check for you Monday. Don’t need you.

Guy calls me and desperately pleas for his job. I ask wtf happened and where is he. Says he was up late drinking but he really needs the job. I reminded him that he chose to stay up drinking and that’s why I’m here and he’s not. He says he’s coming in Monday anyway. I said, fine, no promises.

I spoke with him Monday briefly and let him stay. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday are uneventful, although I wasn’t in the field with them.

Thursday I have to go to the atm to get money to loan my top guy so I’m a few minutes late. I show up and the other two guys have already found and loaded a bunch of tools (which drinker was supposed to do) and drinker is clocked in, taking a dump. I overhear he was up drinking. Then he wants to smoke and joke and I have to remind him that we’re in a hurry.

It’s just me and drinker going to a different job that day but he needs new safety glasses because the style I buy doesn’t suit him and he gets **** in his eyes. Fine. Special trip to home depot for ppe is acceptable but I’m cutting it close as I need to meet my customer and I tell my guy this. So we quickly park and I’m getting out and he wants to chill out in the parking lot because he needs to “rip a butt.” I said we came here to get you special glasses, I’m not really interested in going all the way in there and buying the wrong pair. You can rip a butt quickly after we get them.

He comes in with me (I’m walking fast, all the signs of urgency are there) and picks some glasses. Great. Go do your thing, I’ll go to the checkout.

I get out to the truck and he’s casually smoking and playing on his phone. So I stand there watching him. He doesn’t even see me. After half his cigarette is gone I have to remind him that we’re “in a ****ing hurry” so he puts it out and we go.

Idk, if it was me I would have taken a few quick drags and got in the truck and looked ready to go.

Then when we’re working Thursday, I’m doing demo and he’s hauling debris. I swear he takes twice as long as I would to go to the dumpster and return. Then half the time he returns,I look out in the hall and he’s got his glasses and respirator off and he’s using blue shop rags to dry them off. Wasting tons of time and he used an entire roll of rags.

IDK if I should should let him work today (Friday) and pay him everything he’s owed and tell him don’t worry about Monday. Or tell him, bro, you need to get squared away real fast. His roommate works for me too so that’s going to be awkward.

·
Registered
GC
1,029 Posts
Lot's of people drink and smoke. Some are good employees and some are a pain in the rear.
You have hired one of the latter and it's time to cut him from the herd.
I can't have a smoker on the job. I'm a hard core nicotine addict and just a scent of smoke wakes up the 800 pound gorilla on my back. I'd be up to a pack and a half a day within a month. The personal cost of quitting was way to high to risk going back.
Everyone has their kryptonite, smoking is mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up a new guy last week. First day was Thursday. Uneventful. Friday, I told him to take a break and offered to let him run the ac in my new F550 and chill for a few while I ran the lull for a few.

I looked over at him a few times while I was driving and he’s got the truck running, ac on, door wide open, and he’s sitting on the seat with his legs on the running board, playing with his phone. I think, “Goodness this guy is too old to not know how AC works.”

But I let that go. Til I got back to the truck and opened the drivers door and it stinks of cigarette smoke in there. Seriously? He had been smoking the whole time, which I couldn’t see because I had been preocuppied. So I immediately told him don’t smoke in my truck. He said, “That’s why I had the door open.”

You can probably picture a grim faced angry bastage holding back a homocide and instead saying, “Well, it’s a brand new seventy-thousand dollar truck, and I don’t smoke.” He gave a weak acknowledgement and it was over.

Next day (Saturday), he’s the only one who can work and is supposed to meet me at 7:00. I text him at 7:30. Nothing. 9:30 he texts me to say he’s really sorry, left his phone one the table and didn’t charge it. 2.5 hr after start time is first I hear? No, thanks. Text him right back, first the truck now this ****, I’ll have a check for you Monday. Don’t need you.

Guy calls me and desperately pleas for his job. I ask wtf happened and where is he. Says he was up late drinking but he really needs the job. I reminded him that he chose to stay up drinking and that’s why I’m here and he’s not. He says he’s coming in Monday anyway. I said, fine, no promises.

I spoke with him Monday briefly and let him stay. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday are uneventful, although I wasn’t in the field with them.

Thursday I have to go to the atm to get money to loan my top guy so I’m a few minutes late. I show up and the other two guys have already found and loaded a bunch of tools (which drinker was supposed to do) and drinker is clocked in, taking a dump. I overhear he was up drinking. Then he wants to smoke and joke and I have to remind him that we’re in a hurry.

It’s just me and drinker going to a different job that day but he needs new safety glasses because the style I buy doesn’t suit him and he gets **** in his eyes. Fine. Special trip to home depot for ppe is acceptable but I’m cutting it close as I need to meet my customer and I tell my guy this. So we quickly park and I’m getting out and he wants to chill out in the parking lot because he needs to “rip a butt.” I said we came here to get you special glasses, I’m not really interested in going all the way in there and buying the wrong pair. You can rip a butt quickly after we get them.

He comes in with me (I’m walking fast, all the signs of urgency are there) and picks some glasses. Great. Go do your thing, I’ll go to the checkout.

I get out to the truck and he’s casually smoking and playing on his phone. So I stand there watching him. He doesn’t even see me. After half his cigarette is gone I have to remind him that we’re “in a ****ing hurry” so he puts it out and we go.

Idk, if it was me I would have taken a few quick drags and got in the truck and looked ready to go.

Then when we’re working Thursday, I’m doing demo and he’s hauling debris. I swear he takes twice as long as I would to go to the dumpster and return. Then half the time he returns,I look out in the hall and he’s got his glasses and respirator off and he’s using blue shop rags to dry them off. Wasting tons of time and he used an entire roll of rags.

IDK if I should should let him work today (Friday) and pay him everything he’s owed and tell him don’t worry about Monday. Or tell him, bro, you need to get squared away real fast. His roommate works for me too so that’s going to be awkward.

WTF??
re drinker on job. WTF? Pay this guy money owed and tell him to hit the road. Can’t believe you put up all that nonsense. You need to lose him like a bad habit. Slowing the whole operation down.

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
WTF??

re drinker on job. WTF? Pay this guy money owed and tell him to hit the road. Can’t believe you put up all that nonsense. You need to lose him like a bad habit. Slowing the whole operation down.
Well, he's been gone for hours now. He wasn't actually drinking on the job...

Thanks for the sage advice.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
Hey Reggi,

I appreciate the difficulty finding hires for work that not a whole lot of folks are even willing to consider, but that's the work you are doing so I guess you have to do your best t figure it out. Hopefully the labor pool will provide better next time.

When I said you were getting "played", it was just a reference to the circumstance. He was getting away with doing things his way. He was playing with a much looser set of rules than you liked. That's all. So now he's gone and you will suffer some by being short handed. I suspect your suffering would have been worse should you have kept the dead wood around. If your only potential hires are like this one, I guess that puts you in a pretty tough spot. I wish you the best.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Reggi, I am a moderator that has gone a bit into the shadows herein the last couple years and only do behind the scenes work like nuking spammers etc. here anymore but I have to say that your sense of humor makes me laugh at least twice a week.

As far as the drinker thing, some can be what is called a functioning alcoholic for years without detection except for the slight waft of smell in the morning but do great otherwise. Doesn't sound like it applies in your case.

Again, I enjoy your posts so keep them coming!

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hey Reggi,

I appreciate the difficulty finding hires for work that not a whole lot of folks are even willing to consider, but that's the work you are doing so I guess you have to do your best t figure it out. Hopefully the labor pool will provide better next time.

When I said you were getting "played", it was just a reference to the circumstance. He was getting away with doing things his way. He was playing with a much looser set of rules than you liked. That's all. So now he's gone and you will suffer some by being short handed. I suspect your suffering would have been worse should you have kept the dead wood around. If your only potential hires are like this one, I guess that puts you in a pretty tough spot. I wish you the best.
I suspect I only got defensive at your choice of words because they were true and I hadn’t realized it yet.

It’s sometimes hard for me to be objective about hiring/firing criteria when I’m dealing with a real person that I get along with, not some hypothetical laborer.

I appreciate you taking the time to put in your $.02.

21 - 40 of 132 Posts