Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new guy last week. First day was Thursday. Uneventful. Friday, I told him to take a break and offered to let him run the ac in my new F550 and chill for a few while I ran the lull for a few.

I looked over at him a few times while I was driving and he’s got the truck running, ac on, door wide open, and he’s sitting on the seat with his legs on the running board, playing with his phone. I think, “Goodness this guy is too old to not know how AC works.”

But I let that go. Til I got back to the truck and opened the drivers door and it stinks of cigarette smoke in there. Seriously? He had been smoking the whole time, which I couldn’t see because I had been preocuppied. So I immediately told him don’t smoke in my truck. He said, “That’s why I had the door open.”

You can probably picture a grim faced angry bastage holding back a homocide and instead saying, “Well, it’s a brand new seventy-thousand dollar truck, and I don’t smoke.” He gave a weak acknowledgement and it was over.

Next day (Saturday), he’s the only one who can work and is supposed to meet me at 7:00. I text him at 7:30. Nothing. 9:30 he texts me to say he’s really sorry, left his phone one the table and didn’t charge it. 2.5 hr after start time is first I hear? No, thanks. Text him right back, first the truck now this ****, I’ll have a check for you Monday. Don’t need you.

Guy calls me and desperately pleas for his job. I ask wtf happened and where is he. Says he was up late drinking but he really needs the job. I reminded him that he chose to stay up drinking and that’s why I’m here and he’s not. He says he’s coming in Monday anyway. I said, fine, no promises.

I spoke with him Monday briefly and let him stay. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday are uneventful, although I wasn’t in the field with them.

Thursday I have to go to the atm to get money to loan my top guy so I’m a few minutes late. I show up and the other two guys have already found and loaded a bunch of tools (which drinker was supposed to do) and drinker is clocked in, taking a dump. I overhear he was up drinking. Then he wants to smoke and joke and I have to remind him that we’re in a hurry.

It’s just me and drinker going to a different job that day but he needs new safety glasses because the style I buy doesn’t suit him and he gets **** in his eyes. Fine. Special trip to home depot for ppe is acceptable but I’m cutting it close as I need to meet my customer and I tell my guy this. So we quickly park and I’m getting out and he wants to chill out in the parking lot because he needs to “rip a butt.” I said we came here to get you special glasses, I’m not really interested in going all the way in there and buying the wrong pair. You can rip a butt quickly after we get them.

He comes in with me (I’m walking fast, all the signs of urgency are there) and picks some glasses. Great. Go do your thing, I’ll go to the checkout.

I get out to the truck and he’s casually smoking and playing on his phone. So I stand there watching him. He doesn’t even see me. After half his cigarette is gone I have to remind him that we’re “in a ****ing hurry” so he puts it out and we go.

Idk, if it was me I would have taken a few quick drags and got in the truck and looked ready to go.

Then when we’re working Thursday, I’m doing demo and he’s hauling debris. I swear he takes twice as long as I would to go to the dumpster and return. Then half the time he returns,I look out in the hall and he’s got his glasses and respirator off and he’s using blue shop rags to dry them off. Wasting tons of time and he used an entire roll of rags.

IDK if I should should let him work today (Friday) and pay him everything he’s owed and tell him don’t worry about Monday. Or tell him, bro, you need to get squared away real fast. His roommate works for me too so that’s going to be awkward.

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I told him all the **** that pissed me off yesterday, and that he's fired. Naturally, he's on his way to the job with the other guys at this moment. The man is unfireable. I respect tenacity. If there's no improvement in the areas I addressed I guess it'll be back to the drawing board.

I can live with that.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Start looking for a replacement.

You're looking at 4 more days of good work out of him at max. IMHO.

It sounds way too much like my foster daughter's dad. He knows the right things to say, he makes quick improvements when called out. It never lasts. Best I've ever seen was a solid two weeks, then he imploded.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Reg, how long has his roomie been w/you? Maybe he can help talk to him. Driving back from Memphis yesterday, 6 of us 2 rigs, my newest guy (28) pics up a 12er on a gas stop. He likes his beer. I told him it’s not going in the truck & he’s not drinking go get your money back. He throws it in the trash can p/off. He learned quick the whole thing was a bad move. My lead man, locks him in a headlock & told him he could be left there. Got outta there without any law showing up & less a 12er. Lonnie put him in his place all the way to San Antonio, reminding him he can do as he pleases once home. We have walkie-talkies. It’s been a long 3 weeks. Hope he improves for you. Tough to find decent hands anymore

Mike

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
@reggi , Is it a kid? I would assume so, sounds like he's not a seasoned drunk yet.

It's always irritated me to no end, being late or showing hungover. Like look, as a kid, I drank too much on weekdays often, but I never called off or late for it ever. As an adult - wtf are you doing bro? Why are you getting lit on Thursday?

The good news is your in the perfect nasty, hard-core work to sweat that evil out. Give that kid a jack hammer and tell him to get to work. He'll be right with Jesus by lunch lol

I had a kid that was a beast of a laborer, he's a paid firefighter now. He partied a lot, and got more ass than a toilet seat. 22. Everytime he'd show hungover I'd put him to packing 1 1/8 to second floor or swinging a pick, or staging drywall etc...

One particular time he showed up an hour late, young lady dropped him off at the site, looked half drunk. I almost fired him but had him dig a French drain in hard hard ground with a pick in June or July. By 2 pm he had sweated it all out and drank a gallon of water. Kid was a worker for sure.

I said well was it worth it?

He said which time? We didn't sleep 😆

I put my shades on and said well you'll have all that evil sweated out by 6 or 7 this evening, I suggest letting that girl recover and you getting a goods night rest or you'll be filling this with gravel tomorrow by hand

He said man 7? Why 7??

I said because I don't appreciate you wasting all your hard work on a 18 pack and that girl. Save that chit for Friday lol

·
Registered
Custom
13,693 Posts
You set expectations, if he can't meet 'em, not rocket science... the only thing that happens after that if you keep him after multiple opportunities, is he found a way around those expectations (i.e. - what you say and expect of him) and they're watered down... and the others will notice (never mind the guy who lives with him)...

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
This sounds like most of the guys I worked with in the 90's-2000's.

Won't do it anymore. A tip off is if they show up in a raggedy shirt and sweats. Nope. See ya.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Start looking for a replacement.

You're looking at 4 more days of good work out of him at max. IMHO.

It sounds way too much like my foster daughter's dad. He knows the right things to say, he makes quick improvements when called out. It never lasts. Best I've ever seen was a solid two weeks, then he imploded.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
Yeah, probably right. But I'll give him the four days and then I'll call it a lesson learned if it's back to the same old dance.
Reg, how long has his roomie been w/you? Maybe he can help talk to him. Driving back from Memphis yesterday, 6 of us 2 rigs, my newest guy (28) pics up a 12er on a gas stop. He likes his beer. I told him it’s not going in the truck & he’s not drinking go get your money back. He throws it in the trash can p/off. He learned quick the whole thing was a bad move. My lead man, locks him in a headlock & told him he could be left there. Got outta there without any law showing up & less a 12er. Lonnie put him in his place all the way to San Antonio, reminding him he can do as he pleases once home. We have walkie-talkies. It’s been a long 3 weeks. Hope he improves for you. Tough to find decent hands anymore

Mike
Well, the roomie is even newer - the drinker introduced me, said he's a solid guy. And he is. Just like your guy with the 12er, I'm hoping a bit of tough love is all the guy needs cause he has potential. Don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water kinda deal.
@reggi , Is it a kid? I would assume so, sounds like he's not a seasoned drunk yet.

It's always irritated me to no end, being late or showing hungover. Like look, as a kid, I drank too much on weekdays often, but I never called off or late for it ever. As an adult - wtf are you doing bro? Why are you getting lit on Thursday?

The good news is your in the perfect nasty, hard-core work to sweat that evil out. Give that kid a jack hammer and tell him to get to work. He'll be right with Jesus by lunch lol

I had a kid that was a beast of a laborer, he's a paid firefighter now. He partied a lot, and got more ass than a toilet seat. 22. Everytime he'd show hungover I'd put him to packing 1 1/8 to second floor or swinging a pick, or staging drywall etc...

One particular time he showed up an hour late, young lady dropped him off at the site, looked half drunk. I almost fired him but had him dig a French drain in hard hard ground with a pick in June or July. By 2 pm he had sweated it all out and drank a gallon of water. Kid was a worker for sure.

I said well was it worth it?

He said which time? We didn't sleep 😆

I put my shades on and said well you'll have all that evil sweated out by 6 or 7 this evening, I suggest letting that girl recover and you getting a goods night rest or you'll be filling this with gravel tomorrow by hand

He said man 7? Why 7??

I said because I don't appreciate you wasting all your hard work on a 18 pack and that girl. Save that chit for Friday lol
Haha, yeah he's been sweatin plenty. Crawling around with a dustpan shoveling up mountains of horsehair plaster dust, hauling bags of it nonstop. When he's doing the work, he's earning his pay for sure.

I might start a new company division focusing on artisanal hand dug French drains and put him in charge hah.

I knew this Gunny in the Marine Corps. Not in my unit, his guys were going through a program that I was an instructor at. He was a short, evil man lol. He'd send Lance Corporals into the bushes and tell them to, "just start sweatin'." He would single out one ****bag Marine and just slaughter that guy for about two hours. I had a great time watching, from a distance. Cool guy, glad he wasn't my platoon Sergeant. You'd have fit right in with him @Jaws.
You set expectations, if he can't meet 'em, not rocket science... the only thing that happens after that if you keep him after multiple opportunities, is he found a way around those expectations (i.e. - what you say and expect of him) and they're watered down... and the others will notice (never mind the guy who lives with him)...
I guess I'm optimistic that the expectations will be met moving forward. Believe me, I'm not afraid to fire a guy. I've been through eight or more in the last nine months or so. Some little voice is saying give the guy another chance, I hope I don't regret it. It's tough to find able and willing guys.
This sounds like most of the guys I worked with in the 90's-2000's.

Won't do it anymore. A tip off is if they show up in a raggedy shirt and sweats. Nope. See ya.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
He's go the raggedy shirt, but so far jeans. He even brought his own hankerchief today so he can handle his business and leave my shop rags alone. Progress.
I fired him about 5 times reading that. Can't have a guy around that lacks that much situational awareness, for lack of a better term. And getting fired is what he's doing to himself. You're just the one that has to do it because he made you do it.
Situational awareness is as good a term as any. Today was awesome, the guys did good work. I'm going to let it ride and if he starts spacing out again and disappointing, I think I'll just have my lead fire him so he can't talk himself out of it.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
35? He's a pos. Fire him and move on.
I know 50 year old framers who drink their ass off and smoke, thst could dance around most of their contemporaries

Showing up late - no lol

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quite the exercise...by the way, when you fire someone it's no longer about them, it's about who's left..? if that's any help as to where to focus.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
When you have to put comm. projects together, frame & build ground up there is always drama. If it’s not a crying sub, a sissy out of college super or a substance dependent hand if you need help it’s there. It took me years & lot’s of drama to put together a good crew although our latest hand is pushing his luck. But thankfully my 2 senior hands keep all the above in check. Yea, I’ve bailed em out of the crossbar, sent em packing & such but I’d hate to start over. A bonus trip to the titty bar & a little extra cake here & there keeps em happy for me. It’s possible — but not drama free now days

Mike

1 - 20 of 132 Posts