Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I need help, does someone know what I can do to repair broken leg on exterior iron furniture. Looking for permanent repair. Or whom can I take the leg to repair it, a welder? Please help.

ForumRunner_20140415_172205.jpg

ForumRunner_20140415_172216.jpg

ForumRunner_20140415_172241.jpg

ForumRunner_20140415_172257.jpg

·
www.artisticrail.com
52 Posts
Are you sure of the metal. Most of the import furniture is coasted white metal and pretty much welding will never hold to the same strength and break.

You will probably want to make backing structure and braze, but finding a good local blacksmith or specialty metal furniture fabricator will be able to fix if worth it.

Www.abanna.org or www.nomma.org has members that can help find someone local

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
if it is cast iron its hard to weld, the whole thing or aleast a good portion needs to be heated, a oven is best, a rose bud on a torch to heat aera, arc weld to repair

·
Registered
155 Posts
It looks like the leg bolts on. If you can find the manufacturer, it'll probably be cheaper to get a new leg.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would look for the nearest large green receptacle and place it in there. Then go to a garage sale and pick up one for half the cost of what its going to take to fix it properly...:whistling

·
Registered
6,819 Posts

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
From the pictures,..it looks like someone attempted a weld repair......?
That appears to be CI and Yes it can be fixed. Nickel rod will work just fine. You could also have it brazed but it would show up as a brass color.
Take it to a good welder that is qualified to repair cast iron. I belong to a machinery forum and there are at least 1-2 posts a week on repairing broken parts or casts from CI woodworking machinery. I had a repair that I needed for a machine and I must say. My welder told me that the repair would be stronger than the cast- they did a fantastic job.

It will Probably be $75.00 -$100.00 (give or take a few dollars )to have that fixed. Just don't use brazing - it will stand out . If they use nickel and build it up , they, or you, can shape it down to its original profile with a hand held grinding wheel and then sanding disk. There is also a liquid you can buy to tarnish the metal once the repair is completed to blend in with the aging of the bench. I just don't remember what it was called.

Best of luck,

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Kowboy, sorry but there's a big difference between gluing a chip back on a countertop than a structural repair on a seat leg.

Personally, I wouldn't have it welded because with my luck the weld would fail and someone would be needing a hip replacement. Just not worth the potential liability.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everybody for the info it has been repaired before but was not done by a pro. It was broken when moving around and painting.

·
Kowboy
2,268 Posts
Kowboy, sorry but there's a big difference between gluing a chip back on a countertop than a structural repair on a seat leg.

Personally, I wouldn't have it welded because with my luck the weld would fail and someone would be needing a hip replacement. Just not worth the potential liability.
There is a difference, but it doesn't matter. The OP asked for a cost-effective way to repair this chair and I provided it.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Speak of the devil.......what timing....:whistling

As I said.....:whistling

:laughing:

;)

Keep your chin up..:thumbsup: they mean well........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts