Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
I like Green things
22,985 Posts
There has got to be something under that, in all those examples.

The one in question has to be repaired. He is not pulling slates off and re-slating the corners.

It was originally capped with metal and that is really the only way to easily fix it.

That last picture he posted where ther is metal on the corner, is probably 75% original.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
I tell you what....

For all the time & effort you are going to put into that considering "time" not so mush the material. Azak is one solution - you are going to have to create a template out of CB shadowing each side of that mansard corner.

Your probably going to use up 18"w x how ever long you will need 8'?
and trace your CB template on to the azak and cut it out to match.

When you are done with both sides you will have to take a torpedo heater with you to the job site and some 4x4's (scrap) to rest it on.. angle the TH near where your going to need the radius bend - test a scrap piece first to get it write.. heat the azak up and form it to the mansard corner- all this up on the roof and I just think you are asking for problems - there is a lot more to this ..........you really need a form to clamp to when doing this out of a template.. and there is a lot of work involved with this whole process... it can be done - but your time :rolleyes:

The biggest problem I see is you are going to change the character of that roof outline by doing so....

Honestly.......
Do yourself a favor- get a sheet of copper .......make your flashing according to the original design... you do not need to put the spine on the copper as shown with the existing galvy metal..but- I would. Make each piece to size and bend in a brake- you could put a 1/2 round spine just like they have if you know how to do that. And one way is to offset the bend by the total length of that 1/2 cir spine and then fasten one side (blind fastening) and then make a jig for the spine.. rest it on the exact center of the corner and wrap the other side around and fasten - so this all the way up until your vertical piece and do the same for that- copper is very mailable and very forgiving...you will get a much more professional job ,,, and IMO it will go very smooth for you... 4x8 sheet of copper ~ ;):thumbsup:
Brian

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks to all for the ideas and helpful hints on how best to approach this particular conundrum. I went with metal flashing over the wood. Since the slaters especially were pretty confident it was metal over the existing woodwork and since that assumption was backed up by a long time Boston area slate roofing contractor, I went with that notion. No, sadly, I didn't use copper or lead. In fact, I used simple aluminum flashing bent to cover the shape of the rounded top and the corner boards. We did have to replace the rotted corner boards to have a surface to nail the flashing to and discovered that had we tried to make the corner boards out of Azek or some other material it would have been a bear. The angle changed from 90 degrees at the top to 160 or so at the bottom and because of the sweep in the hips there is also a curve. The wood that was there was partially kerfed but it was also bent to make the curve and the two sides of the corner had a changing miter (all of that must has been done by hand back in 1840 when the house was built!) We just cut partials and screwed them to the hip rafter with long screws. It's not as beautiful as the house deserves but that will take an increase in property values in that neighborhood and a client willing to spend what it takes. From the street about 50 feet away at the closest, it looks great! (of course my eyes are going so maybe that's just me!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great job-there was a more traditional way of doing that type of hip-but youre way does that style justice nice improv- would of cost more to do it out of wood anyway and involves a lot of carving, trimming and hand joining- would of been more of a pain

41 - 44 of 44 Posts