Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I think you should buy a plank of 1x4 azek and see just what you can make it do, then seek alternatives....

We had 1x4 approx 14" vertically and the same horizontally in one piece.....
Aside from the obvious fact that a blow torch is not the best way to apply heat, this pic shows what is possible in the few minutes since my last post. There is a piece of the material I started with in the foreground. It's 5/4 x 3.5, ripped on a 45 degree bevel.

Attachments

Reactions: BaltimoreGuy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Would love to use copper but the client paid $120k for this 4 story 4 unit in a historic district as an investment property and is spending bare minimum so that aint gonna happen. Its so old the original nails for the slates are cut iron not copper. I'm doing good work and trying to do it right but the money is very limited.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Whoa, that's impressive. I am motivated to set up a template tomorrow and play with plastic and fire. What could go wrong? Seriously, I had no idea azek could do that, wow! The mind churns.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Warner I think you've hit the nail on the head it's either copper or galvanized steel .I've built and repaired flared Mansard hips and I've never come across this twisted or sweeped piece of timber, but then again what do I know?

·
I like Green things
22,985 Posts
Getting some lead, galvi, or what not is a pretty cheap solution.

Terne coated steel is what they probably were. The reason they are gone is who really gets up there and puts another coat of paint on them.

NO wood, use metal of some sorts. Lead would be real easy, copper next and then I think you can still get those in galvi that has a roll on the top edge of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
here are some other pictures including one of the two front corners with some remaining woodwork. I have no idea if it's what was there but they are nailed with cut nails. You guys are probably on the money with the metal work. Thanks for all of the great feedback. I am so grateful to learn from so much experience on this boards willing to give there input.
, http://www.contractortalk.com/membe...s/2nd-empire-mansard-roof/7915-100-1152-1.jpg, http://www.contractortalk.com/membe...-stuffed-into-gap-over-shingles-good-idea.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Billy d, no offense taken. Great thread link though. I have zero previous slate experience but have a slate roofer friend in Boston who has been an immense help with the little bit of slate work required on this job - just repair some damaged slates and remove the lower couple of courses to run a new epdm roof from the rebuilt cornice races up under the slates a bit then reinstall. It is pretty cool working with the slate cutter and ripper I bought just because. I have a newfound appreciation to the skills and patience that go into this craft. And yep, those corners are a mess! Like I said, the house was built in 1840 something and deserves better but the client has his budget limitations, the house in in the 'hood, up and coming 'hood but still its a four unit low end rental in what a long time ago was a posh neighborhood.

·
I like Green things
22,985 Posts
Baltimoreguy this remark is not directed at you because I know you did not do the hips but they really are enough to make any one cry.
I Knew there was a thread here from English Roofer showing just how its done but I had to go looking for it.

I hope Dave does not mind me posting a link to it.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f24/some-times-small-jobs-good-63564/

billy
The mitered corners are great on a hip but, you wont find them on any old mansard roof, rather it flares out or is straight.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Warner its even posable to do i with no metal at all .These are pics I posted a while back.
http://www.contractortalk.com/f24/just-roof-75281/

This is not my job and I'm not a roofer but the two trades do cross over each other and this is not my first time around the block.

The pictures talk to you when you can read them.
No Carpenter worked on this roof its a reskin.
The whole thing says quality look at the sweep of the slate as it rises up the
cheek of the dormer theres no metal in there even where the slates meet on the corner post of the dormer and thats plumb.

Theres no metal in the valleys or the ridges,the man started the tower on the left hand side and completed each section before he started the next,

The weather comes from the right hand side of the pic sweeping down the street.Depending on the quality of the slate this roof should last 100 no problem.
There is metal in the roof and I know where it is.

I'm not trying to be short with any body but This is the third version of this and the computer has eaten two of them.

billy

·
copper magnet
806 Posts
Warner its even posable to do i with no metal at all .These are pics I posted a while back.
http://www.contractortalk.com/f24/just-roof-75281/

This is not my job and I'm not a roofer but the two trades do cross over each other and this is not my first time around the block.

The pictures talk to you when you can read them.
No Carpenter worked on this roof its a reskin.
The whole thing says quality look at the sweep of the slate as it rises up the
cheek of the dormer theres no metal in there even where the slates meet on the corner post of the dormer and thats plumb.

Theres no metal in the valleys or the ridges,the man started the tower on the left hand side and completed each section before he started the next,

The weather comes from the right hand side of the pic sweeping down the street.Depending on the quality of the slate this roof should last 100 no problem.
There is metal in the roof and I know where it is.

I'm not trying to be short with any body but This is the third version of this and the computer has eaten two of them.

billy

If you "sweep" the slate, you don't need flashing. I've done swept or radiused valleys w/o metal.

But hips and ridges will leak a little if the slate is just butted. A little leaking at the hips and ridges may be acceptable. And the guy may not have used metal, but unless he used some type of flashing where the two planes butt, a little water will get in. Even with flashing, I alternate sides at the butt, but over time they'll open up.

Beautiful job, though.

edit:I bet that skylight has some metal involved.

·
Registered
429 Posts
See you thats just the thing the slates are not buted you can see it better on the tower, as I walk down the street each hip has a dark line on it and the man as over lapped the slate from the left plain with the slate from the right plain,about an inch.
This tells me he started on the left it also says that the weather comes from the right.
It does not leek but I will say for certain he hedged his bets and fitted a breathable membrane on the whole roof probably a Delta vent.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts