Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there every one busy

I need a bit of help.
Ive got a blasting job for a valuable car next week and im a bit worried about blasting the inside with all the sound deadner i know im being paranoid but i want to be sure.
Ive blasted a lot of cars now using soda and fine grit crushed glass and havent stuffed up yet.
Now this sound deadner inside the car is thick like some sort of tar now what would be the best way to remove it will fine crushed glass cut it?
I cant step up to medium grit because the guy is very fussy and doesnt want a that mutch of a profile left on the metal so would fine grit cut it?
Or if i used fine would i risk keeping the nozzle in one spot and warping the metal?

I have done it on newer cars using dry ice but im not sure if it will work on this stuff.

Any help from you old school car blasting craftsmen:notworthy would be great.
There has to be a way to get this stuff off.
and the car is about a 1970 model if that helps

·
Registered
214 Posts
try a 4" razor scrapper(new blades)and the like and peel as much off.paint remover combo/scrapper.heat gun/propane torch to soften it up a bit and scrape.just a few Ideas that can work.then blast it.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

blast it off with normal abrasive 40/80 or 30/60. It will take off the undercoat much faster. Then come back and "heal it up" with fine glass. This will close up the pores in the metal. If you want an even smoother profile re-blast the whole surface with plastic media. The floor in this car is part of the frame or a uni-body. The steel used in the car floor and sub frame is high quality steel if you warp it you should not be blasting. The biggest build up will be in the rear wheel wells on the inside of the car take off what you can. If it does not come leave it. do not over blast on the inside of the rear quarters it will warp. This rule can be ignored if the outside of the quarters have been chopped or mudded in in the past.PA

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much that is some gold info right there you sir are a true artist of your craft

·
Registered
26 Posts
G,Day Ausisoda
Mate do you know of any other Aussie's on here?

Been reading a few of your posts, looks like you have kicked off well with the new biz, good on ya,
I was going to send you a private message but could not work it out. Like you I have only just started up and I must say it did not take me long to work out that soda sucks, looking at ways to modify my pot to take other abrasives and use some thing that actually gets the job done
Cheers

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi mate where abouts are you in australia and what type of gear are you using i use sodablast gear how are you going for work at the moment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm on the Mid north coast N.S.W I'm using ASB's ss2 pot with a 130cfm compressor, Just starting out, done a few boats and a bus frame, got a few jobs in the near future but finding the soda a pain and the dust is driving me crazy, looking in to using crushed glass for most of the work and only using soda when needed, where do you get your glass from from? Soda is slooooow work.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm on the Mid north coast N.S.W I'm using ASB's ss2 pot with a 130cfm compressor, Just starting out, done a few boats and a bus frame, got a few jobs in the near future but finding the soda a pain and the dust is driving me crazy, looking in to using crushed glass for most of the work and only using soda when needed, where do you get your glass from from? Soda is slooooow work.

Dude i hate to say it but through personal experiance ASB gear sucks i tried every system before i bought mine the bump soda they make you use is crap and a lot of car guys dont like it because it contains a flow additive that is unknown also the bump soda is like min $60 per 25kg bag and because there pots have no after coolers or mt seperators you can not use normal soda witch i get for $27 per bag.
And the worst thing is there not a multi media blaster.
You have payed i guess $15000 just for the pot the soda blast gear i get an after cooler mt seperator and a air filter with 3 nozles and all hoses a complete blasting pakage for $14000 and am multi media capable.
If i were you i would return that gear and go with another manufactuer sorry to run your equipment down but them guys at ABS just sell **** gear(well marketed) ive worked up against a guy that had the ss4 pot and 180cfm and back then i only had 100cfm and i out blasted him 2 fould and i was shooting a number 4 bozzle and he had a number 5 dry soda just cuts so much better when i drain my moisture tank i get **** loads of water even after 1 hour blasting time bump soda is just a patch for crap gear
If you want to shoot glass go for a sodablast systems sb100 pot thats what ive got as my mobile blasting pot and it will shoot anything its a simple design that just works ive even shot heavy grit copper slag with good results the Kquik fire nozzle holder is simple and easy to service.
soda is only good for the flat panels on a car otherwise it is just **** wait until you shoot your first car boot with soda it aint a pleasent experiance when using glass there is no virtualy no dust.
But for that your going to need a different pot go the multimedia sb100 or bigger its awsome
and before i forget i get my glass shiped from NSW so here is the number
02 49648088.
you will like the price per ton as well its cheap if you ever get aftercooling sing out i will hook you up with the $27 per bag soda.
good luck and im sorry for running your gear down its just that i got caught out by this mob as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The people in the USA will fall off their chairs when they see what we are paying for our gear, I spoke to the people at sodablast but the prices they quoted me were much higher then what you mentioned and as the bucks were tight I went for the cheapest option (so I thought) yes the BUMP soda is very very expensive $65 per bag plus gst plus freight. We all live and learn. Think I might buy another pot to blast glass, plastic etc. and keep the soda pot just for soda (or give the spiders some where to nest)

Cheers

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you check out the low volume series the SBLV100 skid mount is what i got for $14000 its on there web site

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think one of the main problems with the ASB machines is that the BUMB soda is so expensive that you tend to lean the media out as much as you can to make it econimocal, but this also slows the cutting rate down, If the soda was cheaper, as you said $27 bucks a bag, you would be more inclined to richen the mix up, use more soda and increase the cutting rate, but the voice inside your head will not let your hands turn that dial to richen the media mix, it's just an un-natural thing to do with the cost of their soda firmly implanted in your mind. I get an hour out of a 25kg bag, there was once when I was in a hurry and mistakenly had the valves set nearly right open and it was cutting like a steam train, but that only lasted 15 minutes and the pot was empty, $65 worth of soda gone in 15 minutes, neadless to say that has never happened again, now I lean it out to almost blowing straight air, still trying to find the balance between cost, time & area covered, time will teach me that (I hope)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts