Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'd like to build a new mitersaw stand. I had one that I built a couple of years ago and we loved using it. It was a beast though (picture below). I'd like to build another one that is a little lighter and probably not as long. I'm going to try and design something in SU over the weekend.

We'll be starting the one below next week and we are trying to sign up a customer for a 3200sq ft custom. After that who knows? and who knows if that'll happen, but I'd like to have a new station.

http://www.mascord.com/plan_details.asp?PlanID=2270CA&PlanGraphicID=1204&np=true

·
Registered
492 Posts
You should have thrown an axle on it and just towed it to the site.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would leave it the way you have it but make it in three sections use some hinges on the two end pieces and when done just pop out the pins.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the great comments :shifty: very constructive :jester:

I liked the design, it worked very very well, but was just a pig to move around. I got the design from Brian McCarthy (Dieselpig at Breaktime) and liked it a lot. But it is just too heavy.

I'd like to sheathe the top with Zip because it'll last longer and not absorb water, which here will cut down on the weight. Building it in 3 sections is a good idea too. What I'd love to do is have it built out of aluminum to make it very light and then screw Zip to the top.

I think I had it 16" wide and 12' long total last time, but it might have been 16' long. It was nice and solid enough to cut a lot of material, esp w/ a stop.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Have some one weld up a frame with aluminum angle iron and then you can skin the top with Zip.
Have them put a couple collapsible handles on it and you should be good to go.
I thought sure you'd have
some gray plastic thing
with green knobs......:laughing:

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
metro had a good idea. An old aluminum extension ladder. Especially if the difference in table height equals the aluminum ladder fly engaged rail height. Cut away the fly section of the aluminum ladder at the location of your saw. Screw your bench material to the rails to attach the saw. then screw more bench material to the left and right sections of rails of the ladder fly. You can even extend the fly section out further for longer material instead of moving flip stops. Especially since the ladder rungs are one foot o/c.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
This was for sale a couple miles from the house today for about 5 hundred bucks.
I have one of these. got it when I was GC ing. Loved it then and love it now. The best miter saw stand in my opinion by far.

You may want yours to camp out for weeks at a time. But this thing is the bee's knees

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This was for sale a couple miles from the house today for about 5 hundred bucks.
I have one of these. got it when I was GC ing. Loved it then and love it now. The best miter saw stand in my opinion by far.

You may want yours to camp out for weeks at a time. But this thing is the bee's knees

QUOTE]

We've had that stand for about 5 years and it is very good. It just isn't beefy enough for framing, although we used it for framing for quite awhile, probably until I built that other one :thumbup:

I like the ladder idea, we have a couple of beat up ladders too. I'll give that some thought.

Thanks guys

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I'll give you 200 bucks for it Gus.:laughing:

I don't really care for the saw helper that much.
The wings would scare me when I haul it around.
You get used to it. Just like all the other heavy assed crap we haul around.

I didn't buy it. May still be available. A cabinet shop went under and all his stuff was for sale. I went over there to look around, felt strange like a wake. I took a spin and split.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts