Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I bought my house in Aug 07. The over head line pulled out of the house side in Oct 07. That was the first time I tried to get a permit to move the over head line up and set it on a pole above the gutter hight. The line sags so much the I can stand flat on the ground and grab it.:eek: They denied me the permit, no big deal I thought just had the electric company reattach to the house. It can wait until spring.
Spring time rolls around the river goes over the levee and my house floods. In June 08 I am ready to have the electric restored to my house. The city denies me a permit agian to to raise the overhead wires. Wanting to get me and the family back into the house I said screw it tell the sparky just put it back the way it was so I can move in.
Now it's Oct 09 and they denied the permit again. Said they sent some one out to look at it and said it was high enough for code. That is BS they make us put our temp poles in at 14' above grade.
What is my next move? I would really like these wires to be even 10' of the ground minimum.

Thanks
Cole

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't personally barehand that POCO wire, but to each their own. Around here the POCO pulls out the slack. They don't pull permits.
LOL I am NOT touching the wires.:thumbsup: My hand is a good 3"s away. The electrician was the one that told me I had to get a permit to raise them. Is this true or not?

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Here we would call the POCO and request an Electric Service Order (ESO) for relocating or upgrading the service entrance. But we only own and are responsible for up to the weather head. From there it belongs to the POCO and it's their responsibility. In other words, they would pull the slack if it needs it.

If you can stand on the ground and touch it I would consider that a safety hazard and notify the POCO.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your house floods every spring?? I suggest you raise the whole house, not just the wires! ;-)

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No the house doesn't flood every year it was built in 52 and that was the first timeit has flooded.

The electric company said they could not make the line any tighter because it doesn't attache to a pole. It comes of a line inbetween two poles. That is what they said when the reconnected it to the house in 07.
The house side has to be raised then right.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
No the house doesn't flood every year it was built in 52 and that was the first timeit has flooded.

The electric company said they could not make the line any tighter because it doesn't attache to a pole. It comes of a line inbetween two poles. That is what they said when the reconnected it to the house in 07.
The house side has to be raised then right.

So let me understand. The electric company won't demand it to be raided?
David told the truth, we own up to the weatherhead, after that it is the electric co. responsibility.
Would the power company help in dealing with the city?
I also know they won't turn the power on unless the electric line is at a minimum of 12' from the ground.:eek:

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So let me understand. The electric company won't demand it to be raided?
David told the truth, we own up to the weatherhead, after that it is the electric co. responsibility.
Would the power company help in dealing with the city?
I also know they won't turn the power on unless the electric line is at a minimum of 12' from the ground.:eek:
I didn't think of getting the electric company to request it to be raised.;)

The electric company said they couldn't raise it without the weatherhead being raised. That required a permit that is what was applied for and denied. The city said it was high enough. The electric company said the couldn't raise the guide wire untill there was a permit.

Thanks for the ideas guys I will see if the electric company can get the permit pushed through.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Around here, the electrician would take out a permit for a service change, do the work and call for inspection. No one at the building department would even ask about what the change was all about. The inspector would approve the changes if they were code compliant and the POCO would re-connect.

It seems to me that it is really strange that the building department would/could tell you you cannot install a mast and service head. As long as it is consistent with code, the city has no business telling you no.

Reactions: rselectric1

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have to agree with thom. The reason they gave you to deny the permit is that it's already up to code ?? So what ? If what you want is also up to code, you have a right to do it.
I would first talk to the head inspector, construction official, whoever is in charge. Go one step up the ladder.
If it's still no, write a letter, include the photo above of your hand, and tell the city you will hold them responsible for any accidents.
You might also call/ write your city councilman about this.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I think there is more to the story since the permit application was not approved a number of times. I think your mast will have to be higher for a safe installation and that could be your responsibility since the entrance seems a little low.

You will need an inspection after the power company has completed their end of the work and hooked up to your end including the mast and their meter. It might be a good opportunity to upgrade your service.

The reason I say there maybe more to the story is that it is difficult to believe that a that a project done properly by a licensed electrician and the power company would not be allowed/permitted. Around here, the power companies prefer to install new service lines underground because it reduces their outages and emergency service calls.

Have you had other dealings with the city permit/inspection people?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Okay, here I go thinking I know something that maybe I don't.

Here in California, it is common for the weatherhead to be above the roofline by a couple feet. If your was above the roof line as I discuss, wouldn't it raise the height as necessary and still be within your local code?

datajam

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I say raise the house, you already are in good with a house mover.:thumbsup:

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking at the first picture I noticed you have no eve, just a gutter flush with the house. How would you raise the mast above the roof line? Stop the gutter at the mast?
In my OG post it says put it on a pole.:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts