Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been shopping around for some 6" high hats and i was already to leave with some 6" Halo housing 6pack when the Home depot electrical guy says you should buy these "commercial electric" recessed lights. "They are the same as the Halo but cheaper" So i bought them and looked online for some reviews and everything I read about them are bad. So i was wondering if anyone knows anything about "Commercial Electric" recessed lights. They are the Home Depot brand and were 34$ for 6 6" housing kits air tight insulation contact.

Should I go back with the Halo or stick with the Commercial Electric?

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
So I have been shopping around for some 6" high hats and i was already to leave with some 6" Halo housing 6pack when the Home depot electrical guy says you should buy these "commercial electric" recessed lights. "They are the same as the Halo but cheaper" So i bought them and looked online for some reviews and everything I read about them are bad. So i was wondering if anyone knows anything about "Commercial Electric" recessed lights. They are the Home Depot brand and were 34$ for 6 6" housing kits air tight insulation contact.

Should I go back with the Halo or stick with the Commercial Electric?
After years of dealing with "cheap" recessed housings, we now only use Juno. Not the cheapest (cost) but we know what kind of quality we're getting every time. I say go with the can that is better built.

If you worry about price now, you may have an issue with labor later. :whistling

One of the scariest phrases in the English language..."Home Depot brand" :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
100% agree with Angus. Juno is by FAR the easiest to work with but costs more.
If you are choosing between commercial electric and Halo, the Halo is worth the extra money.

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
On the rare occasion when a HO or builder supplies their own RC cans on one of my jobs, that Commercial Electric trash is usually what they deliver up. The rough in housings and hanger brackets seem flimsy and IMO, the actual Commercial Electric open trim rings are extra ugly with those double rings that they have on them.
Their 3” non-IC RC lights are even crappier.

I think the Halo IC/AT frames are okay, but all of their trims are grossly overpriced and I don’t care for the fact that they stipulate that their warranty is void unless you use genuine Halo trims. Especially when there are several decent universal trim rings available for a lot less.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Worse yet seem to be the brand Menards pushes-Thomas? (I think)

I always hate it when the HO provides their own cans and I see that menards bag!

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Commercial Electric lighting is garbage. Halo's are nice but if they're bought at the HD they might be a crappier line of merchandise. Not sure but I would assume that. You might want to consider purchasing from an electrical supply house. Juno is also a brand I like using and since I'm a pro that's good advice.

·
Master of the Underground
31 Posts

I always hate it when the HO provides their own cans and I see that menards bag!
Our boss is building a 100' x 230' horse barn with 46 stalls total and we get to install a can light in every stall and a can light every 10' in the alley way. Yep they are the wonderfull Menards Thomas brand junk.:furious:

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Progress Lighting is another decent option for recessed cans.

I wouldn't cheap out on something that is behind drywall and near combustible materials.
I'm going to have to remember that quote for the next time a customer offers to supply materials for a job.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts

Maynards here sells Progress. No complaints.

·
Master of the Underground
31 Posts
:thumbdown Wow, good luck with that!
yeah he is spending about $4000 in plc and programming for his horse exerciser but putting in cheap can lights

·
Registered
254 Posts
Halo cans have nice U shaped plastic bushings in the J box, you make up the romex connections outside the box and simply slide them into the bushings, fold the wires inside the box and put the cover plate on. Commercial Electric cans have little tabs you pry out and then you push the romex into the box past this cheesy metal retainer... It's just not as easy as Halo. If the "Joist Bays" are narrower than norm, the support legs on Halo cans are much easier to shorten.

I always install Halo, but I finish them off with cheap $1.50 Chinese trims.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Halo cans have nice U shaped plastic bushings in the J box, you make up the romex connections outside the box and simply slide them into the bushings, fold the wires inside the box and put the cover plate on. ...........
The only thing I don't like about them is when I have to use 12 to feed them, it's hard to get 12/2 to fit and stay while you close the door.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts