Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new ZT mower for medium size lawns, fairly flat, and most of them are under 1 acre.
I do property management, so I will only be running it 10 to 15 hours a week.
Is there any decent mower, brand new under $5,000?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm on my 3rd zero turn. Started with a Grasshopper, then a Deere, now running a big Kubota 60". The Kubota is diesel, wish I'd had it all along, they don't use near as much fuel.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I wonder how the diesel savings works out. +/-300 hours a year for you, might save a gallon per hour. Plus no bad gas in the spring.

·
Super Moderator
24,193 Posts
my recommendation was based on the op's under 5k price.

kubota definitely king of the hill.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
If you can save 5 hrs a week during mowing season, Buy the largest unit You can afford...

5hrs x 20 mowing weeks (watered yards with fertilizing) + 100 hours x 35.oo$ mower operator pay (3500.00) a year for the 72-66" deck mower with ~30HP+ = no brainer and it will last one or two MORE season at least. Water cooled engine?

Arrange the landscaping to match the mower deck width, flatten ground/roll for wider decks.

Keep the blades sharp, always have a set getting resharpened by a skilled pro, or learn to do it right yourself as an added income source/skill.

A quieter machine will allow early morning mowing when it is COOL = added production = $$.

A larger machine also adds the possibility of adding lawns for increase cash flow. or just more time with family....

Reactions: wallmaxx

·
Registered
727 Posts
my recommendation was based on the op's under 5k price.

kubota definitely king of the hill.
Oops, I overlooked the $5k price tag.
This will only get you the homeowner grade stuff, possibly a 42" - 48" Deere, Ferris, or similar?

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,501 Posts
Go find a used well maintained commercial mower. You'll find one fits your budget. I bought a 66" exmark for $4K last summer. Best mower I've ever owned. I mow 3 acres in about 2 hours.

·
Always building
2 Posts
I've always had good luck and enjoyed Kubota – but I agree, I think getting the largest mower that's affordable in order to save time will pay dividends down the road.

Those Spartan Mowers look like little tanks though, love it :)

·
Super Moderator
26,643 Posts
Gravely is a great mower for 5k almost exact at 60" , i have one thats 8 year old. The dude who runs it for me mows 4 acres at the shop and my grnamother(s) place(s). Probably 700 hours no issues

My old man's is about the same

For commercial grade, rough terrain, Kubota. 100%. Less bolts, a lot more welds

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
We bought a Bad Boy Elite 3 years ago, maybe 4?....60 inch, 7 gauge deck steel, and it was $5,500. Looked at the Kubota, deciding factor was tire size. Had to get diesel Kubota to get the same tires, front and rear, and we are in the sandy ground.

Anyway, nothing has ever went wrong, change the oil yearly, check tire inflation as this will make the mower not leave a level path, and blades....

Although out of the 5k pricing, if I were to trade mine in, I would look at the newer version that has a better suspension....since mine has no suspension.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Among homeowners, they say that a neat and well-groomed lawn is a sign of a good owner. I fully agree with this, but in order for the lawn to be in excellent condition, it is necessary to have the appropriate equipment for lawn care. The main means to keep your lawn in shape is just regular use of a lawn mower. I used to have a gasoline lawn mower and yes, they are quite powerful, but they require spending on fuel, and they also emit harmful exhaust. I was advised to switch to electric lawn mowers and I do not regret that I agreed at all. They are much more convenient to work with, and they make much less noise. If you also have an old lawn mower, and you are thinking about changing the working unit, I advise you to visit this page and finally forget about such a problem as an unkempt lawn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts