Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend, he works out of a rented hole in the wall auto shop. It's one of those cheap rentals, take it as it is. The owner would rather see it fall in than spend a dime on it.

Anyway, it has a flat rubber roof covered in gravel. It's leaking like crazy and he ask if I could do anything to it to help at least slow the leaks. Can anyone suggest a roof coating or something that I could put on as a temporary repair? There isn't anything coming up through the roof as would usually be the problem with a shingle roof. Even if it had to be done yearly, or even a couple times a year if the cost isn't too much.

I don't know anything about flat roofs, and will be doing this out of my own pocket to help a friend. I'm certain moving or a new roof would be ideal.

This is the guy who repairs all my trucks and equipment. Even comes right out after hours for super cheap.

Thanks in advance! Hope everyone is gearing up for some much needed down time with the family for the holidays.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
First off, if it leaks that bad, be aware of possible weak spots or structural issues. Just because it's flat doesn't make it safe to walk on.

Isolate the worst area and buy a 10mil reinforced tarp from harbor freight. The size will depend on what you think you can accomplish

Put it in the place that you think will do the most good. Kick some of the gravel around the edges and in the middle. If there is a drain in the area cut a dole in the tarp.

That's about all you can do and it's not much. This is purely a band-aid and not worth more than the cost of the tarp and a couple hours of time. It might allow the roof to drain in areas that are still somewhat watertight. Purely a short term, stop gap attempt.

It sounds like the landlord knows he can get away with doing nothing. Or maybe the terms of the lease make it the tenants responsibility?

Having a decent place to operate a business requires charging a fair price and not giving away services.....just sayin'.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
How big is it? A 10x50 60 mil roll of Epdm is only like 300 bucks, grab that and some seam tape and primer and go put a new layer on the bad spot. It will be like 500 to 600 bucks

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yes... some EPDM with some seam tape and glue. If this is too much, a tube of water cut off if the leaking area is limited to a small hole(s).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coast Guard Approved! The titanic could have been saved if that stuff had been around back in the day.

I'll get up there and sweep the gravel back and see what it looks like.

He said it doesn't leak until it's been raining a while or heavy rain. Which I assume it's puddling or takes that long to find its way through.

Flat roofs seem like they come in two forms. Those that leak and those that are gonna leak.

Kind of like concrete, cracked and gonna crack.

I really do appreciate and enjoy learning about just about anything.

Thanks and keep the knowledge flowing.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Definately need to look for the holes first. With rubber, the rubber is usually in good shape. The seams are the problem areas. To be more specific, the corner where the rubber runs up a paraphet wall almost always leaks. Rubber roofs can be good roofs, if installed correctly. It is rare that I see one that was done completly right. Leaks can run a long way on rubber as well. Usually people put a rubber roof over the top of an existing tar roof. You get a leak in the rubber, then the water runs under the rubber, but on top of the tar roof.
Look the roof over, in general. The leak may not be where the water comes through.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
I missed the word 'rubber' when I read your post.

I was thinking some type of BUR or modified.

If it is rubber and you can push back the ballast you might have a chance to locate the troubled spot(s), and seams are likely targets.

Good luck

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Gravel.......:blink:
Ballast EPDM roof systems don't have gravel as the preferred stone. Usually it's a larger size 3/4"- 4" is acceptable. When you said gravel I was thinking a 3ply built up roof system/asphalt and then gravel spread.....

If it's gravel over EPDM, which is odd, isolate the leaking area, move the stone and look for punctures,tares,or dry rot,,,,could be any of the 3 depending on the age of the EPDM, do some patch work.......

B,

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
PrestigeR&D said:
Gravel.......:blink: Ballast EPDM roof systems don't have gravel as the preferred stone. Usually it's a larger size 3/4"- 4" is acceptable. When you said gravel I was thinking a 3ply built up roof system/asphalt and then gravel spread..... If it's gravel over EPDM, which is odd, isolate the leaking area, move the stone and look for punctures,tares,or dry rot,,,,could be any of the 3 depending on the age of the EPDM, do some patch work....... B,

I see them all the time, have re roofed a few. Gravel is a lot creeper then glue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts