Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the clean out plug on my stack....The previous owner sealed it in and then busted the square where you wrench it.....of course it has a duct tape fix.....yuck

My plan is to install a 3" Y with an adapter bushing and then the plug this should eliminate any drips since it's vertical

My problem is the stack is offset.....above the straight clean out T is a street 45 elbow, then about 12" maybe of 3", another regular 45 elbow to the stack. I always have problems lifting the last joint to get it to fit in tightly......Any hints?

Also this is an ABS stack....I'd like to do the replacement portion in PVC anything else I should know?

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you really wanted to replace that section in PVC, you would have to also use another boot to tie into the ABS below the old clean-out that you cut out because you can't mix ABS and PVC together unless you use that transition glue.

If you used ABS for the new section you could use the boot at the top where the street 45 is, put your Y in with the clean-out,then some pipe and a repair coupling to tie into the exciting vent.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-4-oz-ABS-to-PVC-Transition-Cement-309003/100344275?N=5yc1vZbudl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts