Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a contractor hope you wont stop reading. We purchased our new Condo in October and were told everything comes with a 1 year waranty. Punch list listed along with the inspectors list that the roof had flashing problems and was supossed to be fixed within a specific amount of time, the roofs pitch was not allowing it to drain properly.

Big snow here in Chicago and the roof starts to leak into the master bedroom, through the doorway leading into the master bath. Wood doorway that has like 12 leak spots and the wood is warped. Walls have had some damage as the drywall tape is showing in some places, and cracked in another, some floor boards are also warped where the water came through. Where the floor is warped there was not any water that was on the floor, it must of been underneath. Ceiling has some water spots and close to the recessed lights. The contractor has come out and taken a look at it and now tells us the roof is not under warranty because it has been within pas the year time frame when it was actually replaced or installed. They came over and put some type of cement or something that would eventually stop the leaks, and now they are saying that they are going to come out and fix the dry wall and repaint, said that the HD wood floor had to dry a month or so and to wait and see if it drys and goes back to normal, is that possible? Are we getting screwed over here and should we get a second opinion and have them fix those things that are different than what they are planning on doing? They want to repair the walls, and paint over the water marks in the ceiling. Thanks for your help and sorry if I am in the wrong forum, if so please respond as to what area might be helpful.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
screwd2 said:
Punch list along with the inspectors list that the roof had flashing problems and was supossed to be fixed within a specific amount of time, the roofs pitch was not allowing it to drain properly.

Big snow here in Chicago and the roof starts to leak. The contractor has come out and taken a look at it and now tells us the roof is not under warranty because it has been within pas the year time frame when it was actually replaced or installed.now they are saying that they are going to come out and fix the dry wall and repaint, said that the HD wood floor had to dry a month or so and to wait and see if it drys and goes back to normal
By what process should the October punch list have been taken care of? If the builder ignored the roofing problems I'd say he has some liability to fix all the deficiencies and damages.
IMO you're being stalled. If it was me, I'd put all concerns in writing NOW and deliver them 'return receipt requested'. I wouldn't leave things to someone's word. If I was told by the builder 'we'll do this' I'd insist they confirm it in writing or send them a 'reverse confirmation' that says "Confirming our conversation of today during which you said you will take the following action within the described timetable."
If you have an attorney friend, see if they'll send the first letter for you.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I wouldn't expect that flooring to return to 'normal'.
Like Pipe said, get it all down now. Buy a day planner and keep track of every contact, phone call and letter. Start a file. This may get real ugly before it's over and having your ducks in a row will give you some piece of mind.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It sounds to me like the contractor is just giving you a line about it being over a year since the roof was replaced or installed, and therefore out of warranty. If you are the first owner, most major builders will require their subs to warranty work from the date of purchase. So, the sub may be liable for the repair of the roof situation. The general should resolve all other issues. In any case, do as everyone else has suggested-pursue and record all calls and letters.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
New construction? Roof leaks a year later? Man! It's builders/roofers/a-holes like that who need to get out of this biz.

Bob
Yeah. I hear those Chicago roofers are the worst :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Yeah Pipe, mob related!

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
...and I hear they can sometimes be "grumpy". :cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
In the Chicago area, the standard for new construction IS ONE YEAR... especially production building and commercial construction. BTW the stae of IL has what is called an implied warranty on all construction services. That means like it or not you are giving a 1 year warranty even if you clearly write in your contract that there is no warranty.

It's no wonder these builders give the minimum warranty as required by law.

I was at an EPDM roof repair the other day on a 14 month old roof. The warranty was only 12 months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts