Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This really should be "grumpy old contractor talk". You guys (and you know who you are) really need to lighten up. If someone asks a question, it's always "what is this, DIY chat?" I'm not sure what you're even supposed to talk about here short of how great those mentioned above think they are and how they can chime in crap like "I'd get an electrician" and offer nothing, but if you say anything they're all over you. Lighten up or this place will dry up worse then it is. ( no offense meant to all those who were pleasant and agree'd with everything I said)

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
ProWallGuy is right. This site is for professional contractors and NOT DIY homeowners. www.DIYChatroom.com is where all these questions should be asked. There are many contractors from this site that help people out over there.

Thanks.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
The reason you find it alot is because this site is breaking alot of new ground IMO. I will admit that when I first joined, I was expecting a DIY site, but found out it was not, and actually was quite happy with the way things work on this site.
and yes, the sister site satisfies my DIY cravings nicely.

Since this is NOT a DIY site, then you are going to get a different feel than what you might at a DIY site. Some will call it Grumpy, or dry, or different. And with all due respect, it actually is.

By the way...Welcome aboard.
This site is like a new haircut....you may not like it at first, but it takes a bit of getting used to. There is a wealth of info here.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Place yourself at a job site, and talking to the people working there. This is where they are after work. People don't change much after hours. Yea there is some that are a bit gruff, but that is who they are. Real people that work with their hands, in the mud, in saw dust, in rock dust. This isn't the office cooler. I spend my days around office type people and just don't fit. Can't say I fit here yet as I'm not very witty but it is comfortable being able to talk to contractors about business, and sharing pointers, ideas. Getting help when needed from people that can understand the business end of it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
When we tell someone to 'get an electrician' it is because it is obvious that they don't have a clue as to what they are doing. It's wrong to get somebody killed or burn their house down by encouraging them to attempt something that they shouldn't, worse if they find a how-to printout from this site next to the body.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
The words 'get an electrician' will be used on DIYChatroom.com all the time as well. Some things are just outside of a DIY project.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sometimes the best advice you can give a DIYer is helping them understand when to hire someone.

Don

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
ryaniniowa said:
This really should be "grumpy old contractor talk". You guys (and you know who you are) really need to lighten up. If someone asks a question, it's always "what is this, DIY chat?" I'm not sure what you're even supposed to talk about here short of how great those mentioned above think they are and how they can chime in crap like "I'd get an electrician" and offer nothing, but if you say anything they're all over you.
ryan, some advise: statements like yours won't make you too many friends here. For one, we don't always say "what is this, DIY chat?". That usually gets said when someone posts very little in the way of a question and expects the experts here to tell them what to do sight unseen. Second, saying that telling someone to "get an electrician" is "crap" and offering nothing is a pretty uneducated statement to make. If someone here were to tell an unqualified person how to wire anything in their home, that would be both stupid and dangerous.

If this place is so bad that you think we need to:

ryaniniowa said:
Lighten up or this place will dry up worse then it is.
then I'd like to know why you're here? There is no need for you to stick around if you don't like it here.

We certainly won't miss you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts