Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
KOLA Mike
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mike here, from KOLA Construction. MY background is in residential properties. I have bought, sold, wholesaled, managed hundreds of properties all over the country. I also manage our Denver operation for Kola Construction. This company does a lot of storm work, so we're strong in exteriors. But, I also council and advise property investors as a GC.

I have 4 projects going right now: Two condo rehabs and a townhouse. I run a small company out West and I'm looking forward to storm season. Can't wait to meet insurance adjusters all week long again!

Ask for more information, but I just wanted to find a place to collaborate if I'm stumped and to have some good conversation with like minded folks.

Nice to meet everyone!

Kola Mike-:thumbup:

·
KOLA Mike
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am an owner of this branch and there is a larger parent company in NC. Separate entities.

I am a flipper, yes. I'm in the middle of project for other investors and I also wholesale properties. I have an 18 unit complex with 10 garages and 2 carports for 10K a unit right now that's performing, if you're interested;)

Thanks for the neighborly welcome, too. I believe I've seen your trucks since I came to Colorado a year ago.:thumbsup:

·
KOLA Mike
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, got about 2 feet of snow and most notably, the dang cold. It started warming up today, thank goodness.

The beginning of winter was so mild, too. These past 4-6 weeks have been pretty miserable.

You inspired me to do a lot of research on cork flooring. I have never heard of it, and it's pretty cool! I'm actually considering doing some in a project I'm starting next weekend now.

What's the cost per foot installed, typically, as compared to hardwoods?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mike here, from KOLA Construction. MY background is in residential properties. I have bought, sold, wholesaled, managed hundreds of properties all over the country. I also manage our Denver operation for Kola Construction. This company does a lot of storm work, so we're strong in exteriors. But, I also council and advise property investors as a GC.

I have 4 projects going right now: Two condo rehabs and a townhouse. I run a small company out West and I'm looking forward to storm season. Can't wait to meet insurance adjsuster all week long again!

Ask for more information, but I just wanted to find a place to collaborate if I'm stumped and to have some good conversation with like minded folks.

Nice to meet everyone!

Kola Mike-:thumbup:
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum!, maybe you can help with a question? I just embarked on an endeavor a few hours ago myself looking to get involved with doing some insurance work and was wondering what's the best way to get a foot in with the insurance companies?.

·
KOLA Mike
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum!, maybe you can help with a question? I just embarked on an endeavor a few hours ago myself looking to get involved with doing some insurance work and was wondering what's the best way to get a foot in with the insurance companies?.
Thanks for the welcome. Insurance companies are tricky, because technically, they are not allowed to suggest a contractor to a client. Major conflict of interest. Adjusters, agents etc. You have to keep it arms length. Technically.

Now, most insurance restorations companies still market to agents, but adjusters are the way to go, to enter the kingdom of referrals. They are hard to pin down, and I've heard all kinds of dirty stories about handfuls of cash to adjusters for a nudge-nudge-wink friendly referrals, even though they are not supposed to do it.

I hope that answers your question, but it's ultimately about doing the right thing and getting customer referrals. There's also some preferred contractor programs, but GOOD luck getting on those, without greasing the squeaky wheel, too. I've been trying for years.

Best thing to do still, is to spend money on marketing. Get an appointment setting service, either canvassing or phone marketing, and do mailers when storms and super cold weather hit. That's still the best ROI in my opinion. Set appointments and learn how to sell effectively. Then, do your job and perform and you'll stay in business. Remember how fast bad news travels...;)

·
Electrical Punk...
571 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Insurance companies are tricky, because technically, they are not allowed to suggest a contractor to a client. Major conflict of interest. Adjusters, agents etc. You have to keep it arms length. Technically.

Now, most insurance restorations companies still market to agents, but adjusters are the way to go, to enter the kingdom of referrals. They are hard to pin down, and I've heard all kinds of dirty stories about handfuls of cash to adjusters for a nudge-nudge-wink friendly referrals, even though they are not supposed to do it.

I hope that answers your question, but it's ultimately about doing the right thing and getting customer referrals. There's also some preferred contractor programs, but GOOD luck getting on those, without greasing the squeaky wheel, too. I've been trying for years.

Best thing to do still, is to spend money on marketing. Get an appointment setting service, either canvassing or phone marketing, and do mailers when storms and super cold weather hit. That's still the best ROI in my opinion. Set appointments and learn how to sell effectively. Then, do your job and perform and you'll stay in business. Remember how fast bad news travels...;)
Welcome to the forum enjoy the fun..:laughing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts