Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a new member and have been lurking for a few days. I am a painter and hope to become a contractor in the next few years.

My question is what is the best way to find paint contractors looking for workers in my area. Jobs are rarely listed in the local paper. How do you feel about people stopping by job sites with resumes? Also, what is a good way to find little side jobs?

I've really been enjoying reading the posts here. Forgive me for not being a full fledged contractor yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've really been enjoying reading the posts here. Forgive me for not being a full fledged contractor yet.[/QUOTE]
You are forgiven. Read the past post on the engineer wanting to become a pianter if you want to know my advice on doing side jobs. Go to a paint store and ask Painters if they need help. Give them your "resume'" if you have one. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the idea. I've tried just about everything else. Work is very seasonal here. Also, in my last job I purchased paint from Duron, Sherwin Williams, Porter and Glidden on a regular basis so the clerks will all at least know my face. Cool deal. Thanks for the forgiveness also!

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Yup, paint stores are the place to start. Make a little sign with your info and post it on the board. You will get some calls no doubt.

I love that area. I went to college about 45 minutes from Athens and spent a lot of down time there.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Posting flyers (with rip off tabs with your phone number on them) in local grocery stores is a good, inexpensive way to advertise your services too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for the welcome. I do love living in the area, Nathan.

I hope to get some flyers up at the stores by Monday. I've sent flyers to all the property management and real estate people. I've called every paint and some general contractors in the phone book. I know you contractors have a hard time finding good painters with transportation that aren't drunk ALL the time, but it's just as hard for painters looking for good contractors.

Going to the paint stores in the morning and just trying to hook up with some
painters is a great idea but it makes me feel sorta 'sleasy'. I am a woman and I prefer to pick up my contractors in the bar, (as god intended). :D

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I can really use some ideas, a little tough love and some mentoring.

Oh yeah, is premierpainting from Atlanta? I just saw a TV commercial with that company name.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh yeah, is premierpainting from Atlanta? I just saw a TV commercial with that company name.[/QUOTE]
Nope, New Jersey. I used to live in Atlanta when I was in 1st grade. Everybody seems to use our name though. In NJ there are four others using the same name but spelled a little differently. Oh well. I hope you can find work soon-
Kevin

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Welcome!
I'm suprised that Glass hasn't checked in. Come to think of it, he may be driving to Athens right now. LOL!

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Ah! I missed this thread, going to have to do a Mapquest to Athens.

Gerorgia women are always welcome in my book, Virginia women are also, New York women can really.........I once new a chic from ......ah ...ok.....women in general welcome.

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
premier-when I had my business licence and was trying to contract, I stole "top coat painting' from a florida telephone book. I couldn't come up with anything good and it bugged me because I think I'm so clever.

Glasshouse, Teetor and everyone. I really do apprieciate the warm welcome. After reading some of the post by other women I really didn't want to mention it, but my experiences painting will be hard to discuss with out you guys knowing.

All of my girlfriends pick on me about hogging all the construction guys at the bar. I told them tonight I had found a great message board so I won't have to go out to talk about this stuff anymore. HA!

I'm feeling confident that I will find work soon. Spring is coming. I just want to hook up with someone who knows what they are doing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts